Saturday, March 13, 2010

Big Day for a Little School

A field trip for Cohagen Elementary, where Maggie attends kindergarten, consists of loading all the students in the school on the little bitty yellow bus, with two parents, a teacher and a preschooler and driving 70 miles to town.  We have 9 students, counting the kindergarteners, in the school.  Yes.  That's 9 students TOTAL.
(And we're proud to be one of the bigger country schools in the county!)


First stop was the library! They've completely re-done the children's section and it's in an atrium sort of area and has a humongous mural painted on one wall, which you see here. 
I think it looks like the Cat in the Hat is reading these three a story, but really they are just gazing at the intricacy of the mural. 

Maggie is reading her friend a story.  Truth be told, they were both reading out loud to each other at the same time and not listening one whit to the other.  But they were both pleased to be narrating and I guess that's the whole point.

Celestia (aka Mrs. C.) admiring their book choices. Shortly thereafter, they all heard a story or two and commenced to tour the library. (I missed the tour. Celestia sent Traci and I for coffee. I couldn't tell whether she was giving us a break, or the kids. Either way, it was appreciated!)
 

The library tarantula....Maggie wants one. I vote NO!


From the library, we went on to the Miles City Fire and Rescue Department.  Ooooo! So exciting!
I'm sorry to say we all pretty much failed the pop-quiz, right at the beginning, but we left the building 50 minutes later with WAY more of a clue.  (Turns out, we've been doing Stop-Drop-And-Roll all wrong! Cover the face, folks...)



Maps in the control room....

Answering questions by the light of the firetruck.  Everyone had the opportunity to climb in and look around. Thank goodness they didn't push any buttons or pull any levers!

In the ambulance, the fireman asked if anyone wanted to see their heart monitored on the de-fib machine. Anyone?
"I will!"
Maggie's the littlest one in school, but she was the most excited to experience every little thing.
(Upon reflection, later, I thought that perhaps she was the only one who didn't think the whole thing through and that some caution would be good in a child...)

Ouch! It hurts to pull the stickers off your "bellybutton"...that's where she said they were attached. 
We have the little tape of her heart beat and it's beautifully even; not the least bit nervous.

This is actually the firehat of one of Wayland's friends that he does Search and Rescue with.
It was heavier than she thought!

Down the pole!
She was first in line for that experience, too. 
And then we had pizza at the Airport Inn.
Three cheese pizzas, one taco pizza and one combination....only 3 pieces left over.

It was a great day!
(And no one threw up on the bus...whew.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember plainly as a student of Cohagen Elementary going on that same field trip and taking that same ride down the fire pole. Wonder if it is the same firehouse...probably not.

Lori R. said...

what a blast! To see all that through a childs' eyes is so much fun! Hey Mary, thanks for the words today... needed to hear that.
p.s. my computer was doing that same thing downloading pages faster than I could delete them. I just ran my norton and it quit... not that you probably didn't already do that, but I had to do it a few times....