Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Toofless...

She lost it! And she lost it good. 
While Angus and I were mixing up a cake for PopPops, Maggie was sitting at the table busily working over an apple and glaring at us, because SHE wanted to make the cake.  (Never mind this was the first cooking project for Angus and she's had countless...)

Right before we were to crack the eggs, I hear a little voice behind me, saying
"Did I lose my tooth?"
Maggie opened her mouth and there where the tooth had been was a little hole with a tongue feeling around, looking for the tooth. 
Two thoughts occurred to me, intantaneously:
1. She swallowed it.
2. There will be more drama than Broadway has seen in twenty years of production.


We looked the apple over with great care, and she kept insisting that she HADN'T swallowed it, but she had no idea where it was.  (Meanwhile, the boy was standing at the counter hollering "Can I stir it, now? NOW can I stir it?" And there were eggs there, too.)


Finally, we decided to write the Tooth Fairy a note; a heartfelt, pleading note of explanation.  But NOT this very minute. 

Last night, with a little jewelry pouch and a  green plastic bead (stand-in for the tooth), we wrote a fairy sized note.  She was trotting down the hall to put it under her pillow when her dad and I both hollered that she'd squish the Tooth Fairy in her sleep if she tried that.  It took some talking to get her to ensconce it, instead, in her ballerina jewelry box.

This morning, there was $1.00 in nickels and dimes, which looks like a veritable fortune to a five year old.
Much jumping up and down, much squealing; AND she has a GREAT show-n-tell today.  No more tooth envy for HER!




8 comments:

Denise said...

You are goooooooooood. THAT was quick thinking! I was so worried she would be devestated at eating it. And here I just had told Jake that would likely not ever happen. Wait till I tell the boys......

Cowboy's Sweetheart said...

We loved getting the phone call and I laughed heartily when I talked to her last night and PopPop was glad to have his visit with BOTH of them this morning!

TraciG said...

It must be a girl thing. Ben has never even thought losing a tooth was significant. I was talking to my friend Kayla this morning and she was saying her Hayley was so jealous when her friend lost hers, but then when hers was loose enough she was scared. Sounds like a girl-thing doesn't it! Glad she's got a new one on the way!

Anonymous said...

Poor Anna was in a mixed K-1 class her first two years of school. And the teacher had a "teeth lost" chart on the wall. Why the big deal I don't know but it was. Kindergarten came and went and no teeth on the chart for Anna. She was bummed. Don't worry, we told her, you'll surely lose teeth in first grade. But no, first grade came and went, kindergartners had three and four teeth on the chart...Anna had none. The dentist assured her that she could see big teeth under the baby ones on the x-rays, and that her day would come. And it finally did, in second grade, when losing teeth was kind of old news to most of the other kids. I don't think she cared when the tooth fairy myth became reality and she had a real whole dollar to show for it!

Robert said...

It looks like she lost tooth #O. #P shouldn't be too far behind. The tooth fairy is too busy to go digging through kiddie poo or a septic tank for one tooth, so she'll gladly accept a pretty bead instead.

The Farmer's Wife said...

We didn't even GO there, Robert. I thought teeth were numbered, not alphabetized...hmmmmm. #O was the first one she got as a toddler! It's only right that it should fall out first; it's the oldest.

It MUST be a girl thing. And I can't imagine, Dawn, why in the world a teacher would use a chart for that! It's fun to hear all the "tooth" stories.

Robert said...

Well if you must know. The primary/deciduous/baby teeth are "numbered" A-T. Secondary/succedaneous/ adult teeth are numbered 1-32. ;)

The Farmer's Wife said...

Wow. No wonder dental school is so hard.