Wednesday, December 09, 2009

From the vault...

It's not cool to write a Thanksgiving post in the middle of December. But then, I've never been accused of being cool. I HAVE been accused of procrastination, and that, I believe, would be the reason you're seeing our Thanksgiving pictures now, as opposed to when you should've seen them. (The day after Thanksgiving comes to mind.)

Something you should know about us and Thanksgiving....we generally can take any holiday and turn it into a disaster, but Thanksgiving is where we really shine. We've been 10 hours from home under 3 feet of snow. We've had turkey poisoning which actually turned out to be a case of pregnancy. (I say "we". It was me, but the whole family suffered.) We've had turkeys done 2 hours before they were supposed to be. And 2 hours after. We've experienced my sister's attempt at a charming frog eye salad...all 1 1/2 gallons of it. (It was good, but there was enough to feed several families.) You get the idea.

This year, Celestia and I informed the men that we were not cooking or doing dishes, and we made a reservation at the Miles City Town and Country Club for their Thanksgiving buffet. Oh sure, we'd have to load the family up and drive 80 miles, but that's a pretty small sacrifice for soft hands that didn't touch dishwater and potential disaster averted.  There was a little grumbling, but I believe the glare behind our glasses convinced them that THIS year it would be alright. Just don't try that nonsense with us again next year.

And it was a lovely day. No mishaps, no kitchen disasters, no stories to tell years down the road. Rats.

The cooks, all giddy after lunch. They kept coming and taking our plates, so we kept having to start over again at the buffet, because we were going to get our money's worth, by golly, and it was fun to not have to worry about the dishes!


Yes, that's a little turquoise and pink purse in his hand. See? I'm not the only one with eccentric taste in handbags....


We ran the kids around the 16th hole and green, before we unleashed them on the country club crowd.


Celestia and Jasper.
Some family you are born to, some family you meet later in life.


Javon, my little niece, giving me her best baby grin.
We drove past my brother's house, and my Mom was outside with my nieces. They met us at the park for a little playing. Such a nice surprise!


Jentry, my niece, showing me all her loose and lost teeth. Maggie is lagging behind, with only one marginally loose tooth. Jentry's are coming out like Chicklets.


That's it! Next year will be a glorious post, filled with a more traditional dysfunctional Thanksgiving.
I promise.



3 comments:

Patricia said...

At least you took pictures. I didn't take one single picture Thanksgiving Day. I understand Thanksgiving disasters. For most of my married life we had two Thanksgiving dinners on Thanksgiving Day. First we traveled a couple of hours north to my husband's family gathering where a feast had already been prepared. From there and we went on up to my parent's home for another already prepared meal in the evening. For both events I simply showed up with loaves of harvest bread baked the day before. Easy, peasy. About 10 years ago, Louis and I became the "older generation", along with my brother, and began hosting Thanksgiving every other year. That makes about 5 years that I've hosted Thanksgiving, and over those 5 years I have TWICE caught the oven on fire.

I've missed you. I do pray you are warm and safe.

Pam O'Brien said...

Haha! I love the turkey poisoning story!! Hilarious!!!
You're not alone; AND you're in good company. ;-) I'm working on my "Thanksgiving post" today....

Rosie O'Grady said...

I liked the idea of going to the buffet, and would like to do it, except that I like to graze at supper too. On second thought, maybe the buffet is what I need to do to combat this poundage I have been gaining!