Saturday, November 14, 2009

Puzzled...


My little family LOVES puzzles. The jigsaw variety, because only two of the four members can read right now. My Mom likes puzzles, my mother-in-law likes puzzles, about 4 out 5 people polled (informally) like puzzles.

I do not like puzzles.

I'm trying to learn to tolerate them, because they are QUIET entertainment. It's nearly impossible to put together a jigsaw puzzle and bounce like Tigger at the same time. We know this, because Angus has tried.

I really don't see the point in spending hours putting little randomly shaped pieces of cardboard together to form a picture that I already know from looking at the box. AND THEN (this really gets me) after a couple moments of contemplation, satisfaction from a job completed, IT IS TORN UP AGAIN AND RETURNED TO THE BOX WITH IT'S PICTURE ON THE FRONT!!! Couldn't we just sit and look at the box, instead? I think the reason this bothers me so much is that it's like getting all the laundry done...for about 10 minutes. That's not fun. Do you think that's fun?

Both my children clap with glee at the sight of a new puzzle. My son makes his little feet go 80 mph in one place, he's so excited.  And their system of doing a puzzle is funny to watch. First, find an eyeball. (There are always eyeballs in kid's puzzles. Trust me on this one. If you don't believe me, next time you're in Target, take a look.) After locating the eyeball, they go for other recognizable body parts until they've put together a whole character. They do the puzzle from the inside out. And Angus doesn't finesse puzzles; if he's pretty confident a piece belongs in a spot, he's not above pounding it in until it consents to being joined with the other piece. This upsets his sister, who deplores violence toward puzzles but has no qualms about pounding her brother until he consents to go where she wants him to....

My husband isn't nearly as excited as the kids, but once into a puzzle, he can't be torn from it. The house could be burning around him, the bathtub overflowing, his wife in a seizure and nothing will distract him from finishing the entire Lightening McQueen scene. He's focused. He's serious about jigsaw puzzles. He uses the box extensively, holding a piece up to examine the tones of red and the lines. The man will even do a Disney Princess puzzle as seriously as the pirate panorama. 100's of little pink puzzle pieces. I get woozy even thinking about it.

Maggie asked me, the other day, why we clap and cheer when a puzzle is finished. I told her it was because everyone was excited to see what they'd done, all complete. She looked sort of bemused, as though she liked finishing a puzzle but didn't think it warranted quite that much fanfare. But clapping and cheering is fun, and she'll go along with it, if it makes everyone else happy.

I'm just happy if all the little pieces make it back to the box. HOORAY!!!

4 comments:

Rosie O'Grady said...

Take heart! As useless as it seems, putting these puzzles together helps kids' brains. Looking at shapes, judging the sizes, remembering sizes. It's good, and I am impressed that the Farmer likes them.

Lori R. said...

I agree with Rosie's comment and I will add that it develops patience,,,, oh so much patience. I look at puzzles like a child looks at a bath; the approach may be kicking and screaming and then once you get them in the bath, you can't get 'em to get out!

Shannon Popkin said...

Well, I am so much like YOUR husband! I can go 24 hours without so much as a potty break while working on a puzzle! Last Christmas, the two older kids and I worked on a 3000 (I think) piece puzzle for days. We ate nothing but Chex Mix (while we worked) and stayed up waaaay past our bedtimes. I think we listened to the entire Adventures in Odyssey series while we worked on it. Funny thing is... I can't remember what that puzzle was of. So I guess I just blew the theory of puzzles making you smarter.

The Farmer's Wife said...

Oh, I've read the articles about puzzles making one smarter....they were backed by puzzle companies, as their sales started to slump. I'm just sure of it. And I know that when I get to the nursing home with my tiara, there are puzzles in every corner,so I'd better just learn to like them....

Patience. That's what's developed when one puzzle piece is missing and the whole world stops turning until it's found, under the dog on the couch, heavily licked, 20 minutes later.

Poppy, I have a whole new respect for you. Or fear; I can't decide which. 3000 pieces? Two days? I'd be the one making the Chex Mix and replacing it, changing the Oddessy tapes, bringing the drinks, under the table looking for lost pieces, adjusting the lights according to the position of the sun so you'd have adequate brightness without glare...
I wish I could sit and attend to something that long!