Saturday, November 14, 2009

Crazy Mary's Q & A

Crazy Mary has had novocaine of the brain, lately....could you tell? Did you all see the movie, "Joe vs The Volcano"? Tom Hanks is diagnosed with a condition called brain fog and it's deemed terminal. I've had a bad case of brain fog this week.
Here's the question of the week:

Here is my question for your colomn...how did you and Wayland meet? J--- asked me that because he joked that thee was no one around, how far did you have to go to find eachother, like, did you just marry becaue there was no one else?????

Very funny question! And it has a funny answer, so brace yourself...

Here in the sticks, in Eastern Montana, you can't really answer that question with a good story, because for the most part everyone in Garfield and the surrounding counties know each other from childhood.  It's more a question of "When did you notice each other?"

We went to high school together, for one year, and both stayed in the high school dorm, but I honestly don't remember him that well, if at all. I was a Senior and busy with after school activities and a job, and a boyfriend; he was a Freshman and ran with another crowd...the underclassmen. His sister Pam and I did a few things together, like Office Education Association and one housecleaning stint, but I didn't really know him. 

Life happened and about 10 years later, I was teaching in a country school across the county, with his mom's best friend (didn't know that detail at the time) and decided to try out for the Cohagen Community Play, the annual melodrama/fundraiser. (Tryouts consist of showing up and reading a part, ANY part!) Wayland showed up, too, and we were cast opposite each other as hero and heroine. The CCC (Cohagen Community Club) takes great delight in saying they were the catalyst in our romance and marriage.

Wayland led me to believe he was a rich rancher, and I fell for it.  We had such elegant dates as, moving cows on 4-wheelers, where all the Pluhars laughed at me because I got the machine in the corner and couldn't get it out. With horses, you pull back the reins and turn them the direction you want the horse to go...voila! you're out of the corner! With a 4-wheeler, you have to get the blamed thing all the way back to neutral, push down a red "R" button while holding the hand brake, push the foot gearshift down and THEN manuver the wheeler around. Slightly more complicated. The men laughed, the cow laughed, I was bewildered...  I was also taken on a fence-building date, with all the guys. I had a little more of a clue, there.

And there you go, the story of how we noticed each other!




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Then you were invited for Easter dinner and your future mother-in-law took off on the spur of the moment to go to Sidney and spend Easter with Pam & family. Left you to cook dinner. Everyone survived in good shape.
The mother-in-law

The Farmer's Wife said...

Well, I wasn't going to mention that...

Yes, that was an interesting date, also! (I believe it was a test, concocted by the Pluhars, to see how I could handle surprise cooking situations...)

Lori R. said...

It sounds like you passed the pre-pluhar test with flying colors!!
P.S. I still have trouble with the red R button and I have trouble leaning!!! That's what I am told....

Texas Ghostrider said...

Let me get this straight. Working dates and then a food taste test, I think you married a very smart man. I wish I though of that, see how they work and then see if they can cook and then he was going after older women at that, I think he needs to go on TV and share this little secret of match making.....

Good story!

So my question is why all the 4 wheelers and no horses?

The Farmer's Wife said...

Yeah, you think Montana, you think ranch, you think horse, right? Well, I'm not entirely sure about the answer, here, but I think it's because Pluhars are enviably talented with machines and metal.

That, and the pastures on this side of the county are large and rolling, and can be covered quickly on wheelers. Where I grew up, on the Big Dry, 4 wheelers were pretty useless, because a lot of the pastures were really rough country.

Regarding the Farmer's skill in choosing a wife...I don't know how many victims/prospects he went through before he got to me. You'd better check that out, first. I don't think I passed with flying colors, Lori! I think I just outlasted them...

Denise said...

And now J knows! :) I knew it had to be quite the story......