Saturday, October 17, 2009

Goodbye, Hoovie; Hello Rosie!


My vacuum broke.  Actually, I think it may have quit working a couple years ago, but was putting on a decent show to make me THINK it was vacuuming.  And then, poor thing, it couldn't even muster the gumption to move dirt from one side of the room to the other...

"I can fix it," my husband declared. I believed him, because he truly can fix just about anything.

He looked at the old girl, standing in the corner.
"All it needs is a new belt"
Is it just me, or is that every man's solution to broken appliances?

So, we took Hoovie on a road trip to Miles City to get a new belt.  She rode in the back of the Trailblazer with the dog. Neither was happy about the arrangement. (I'm still not ENTIRELY sure why Hoovie had to go all the way to town for a belt, when she never actually left the back of the car. Maybe he was hoping the jostling would shake something loose, and miraculously fix the problem.)

After we got home, the Farmer tore into Hoovie, and after about 20 minutes of fixing (I was in the other room. I can't stand the sight of appliances being fixed; it makes me woozy.) I heard the sound of the vacuum starting up. Then it shut down.

"Still doesn't work," he informed me, dejectedly.  "I might have to take it to the shop." (That would be the equivilant of the emergency room.)

Next day....
"Still doesn't work," the Farmer said. "I guess you need a new vacuum."

Now, we have company coming from Missouri this weekend, and we haven't had a vacuum for a while. I'd hate to guess how long. It's getting desparate! But Wednesday wasn't an auspicious day to buy a vacuum, for some reason.  Perhaps the Farmer's Almanac warned against appliance purchases that day; I don't know.

Finally, on Thursday, the urchins and I loaded up Hoovie and went to Miles City to purchase a vacuum cleaner. 

It's a dandy! It will suck up bolts, without injury.  It has 3, maybe 4 filters...one of them HEPA, whatever that is.  When we brought it in the house, the Farmer tried it on our bedroom carpet, in a particularly flat area, and it FLUFFED the FIBERS, AND SUCKED UP DIRT!!! That's right, she's not just a pretty face, the girl can clean. 

The Farmer said not to tell you this, but I changed three bags, yesterday.
THREE BAGS of stuff vacuumed up in our house.
I'm SO sorry to all of you who visited us in the last year....apparently, Hoovie wasn't even sorta working, and you were exposed to a lot of dirt. I'm sure you are shocked. (Ha!)

Anyway, it's safe now. Come over for coffee and a demonstration! I named her Rosie, for the maid on the Jetsons.  She's pretty close.

7 comments:

Lori R. said...

WooHoo!!!! When I got my new vacuum, nothing was safe! Good thing the cat ran for cover. Isn't it amazing how you thought everything was going along just fine until a new appliance proved you wrong. Well, happy cleaning... Did Farmer keep the old one for parts? cuz ya never know when one of those springy things could come in handy?

Montana Aunt said...

Well.......I did the same exact thing two weeks ago. Glad to hear that others have the same trouble....and go thru bags as mine filled very fast.
Nicole

Texas Ghostrider said...

We are having spring cleaning early, This fall weekend cleaning, nothing is safe. I have burnt three barrels of trash already and tomorrow, I will be by myself for most of the day. I think I need to go get a "rosie" also, ours is not as good as it once was.

Cowboy's Sweetheart said...

Anyone up for bringing their Rosie's to my house???

It never fails, when company is coming or is there. It is either the oven (just before Thanksgiving), washing machine (with a house full of company), or vacuum.

Enjoy your company!!!

Denise said...

Hooray for a new vacuum!!!!! If you had told me it vacuumed well and left it at that I would have thought 'hmmmmmm.....' It's good to know others have carpet just as dirty as mine. Mine still is sucking up the dirt but it's doing it slowly...I am holding my breath because I don't want a new one but then again, a new one sure is fun! Happy cleaning! Have fun with company!

Shannon said...

Three bags says something for the Farmer's Wife, too! I imagine you had to move about the house for Rosie to get this much done.

May your company check beneath beds and couches to note your efforts on their behalf! :)

Erin said...

I won't even tell you how much we spent on our vacuum . . . it better never stop working. It'll be a sad day when it does. Our vacuum actually sucks the dirt into a container of water so in the end you have mud. In our case it's very hairy mud!!! Want to come visit my house!?!?!?!