Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Stunk, Continued...

I don't know if you all read the comments, but


Denise said...



My boys would like to know are you going to


1. stuff it


2. eat it.






yup, they are those kind of boys.






Candles, burn many candles. Have fun with that one! :) And I am sure that skunk had a nice filled tummy when he sauntered on out. I'm sure it was body armour too! :)


Denise,



Thank your boys for their interest in the trophy skunk! The offending carcass was immediately re-located to a burial spot far, far, far from our residence, but the memory of him still lingers...
We did not immediately think of eating him. We aren't that hard up, yet, for fresh meat. I HAVE, however, read that if you soak skunk meat in milk,(and I don't remember how long, but probably a good, long time)that it is edible and there isn't much of a difference between that and raccoon. I've never eaten raccoon, either. (Such a boring life...)
To answer the taxidermy question, we did NOT have it mounted. I'm not entirely sure if we'd be welcome at any of the 57 local taxidermy shops with a skunk. We are not exactly welcome even at the grocery store now, having been urged to call in our order and their new curbside delivery system is now in place. (Good service, huh?)

Please let your boys know that they are welcome at our ranch for skunk season, which is remarkably free of the common, everyday variety of hunter.  I will, however, request that post-hunt, they sleep in the RedNeck Guesthouse (our old 5th wheel camper) and that any skunk-roasting take place over a campfire 2 miles from my house. 

Sincerely,
The Farmer's Wife

P.S: Hydrogen peroxide and baking soda will get the smell off a dog and/or a boy.  Just be sure to rinse with lots of water after application.  Our Brittany is smell-free, now, and has glistening white hair and shiny black spots. Just in case you ever need to get the smell out.

1 comment:

Denise said...

From the four boys...when can we come over and start shooting? Since you seem to be able to kill the skunk with The Farmer's Gun, S1 would like to know if he coudl borrow it, but only with the bigger, sure to hit and kill the skunk, bullet. Sleeping in a fifth wheel is no problem because we are true red necks here. GIT R SHOT !!!!

from their moma, after your story, a huge (I am sure not as huge as yours) skunk was hit on our road. I keep reminding my husband not to hit it, he keeps swerving like he will hit and then laughs as I shriek "NOOOOO!". I fall for it every time. sigh.
And, S2 is convinced you will come and pick him up so we can go to your house, especially since he can't figure out why it wasn't you who brought Wallace and Grommit to our house if you were the one who told us to watch it...

Thanks for the post. The boys feel famous!