Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Goodbye, dear friend...



This week, Conde' Nast announced that it was shutting down Gourmet Magazine.  The last issue will be the November 2009....*SOB!*  Some of you know this is my favorite magazine, the one I hide away when it comes in the mail, for a special cup of coffee and a quiet afternoon with no interruptions.  I read the travel, note interesting food combinations to ambush my bookclub with, gasp at ingredients, drool over kitchens and appliances I see in it's pages.  It's my virtual vacation, once a month. 

I also recieve Bon Appetite, and it's a decent little magazine, but it lacks the elegance and style Gourmet exudes.  Bon tries to present itself as more of a mainstream cooking magazine, but it almost always misses the mark.  The ingredients listed are impossible to procure, outside a large city, and the steps to create the dishes are intricate and confusing.  Gourmet uses more general ingredients, and employs imagination with the cookery without being outlandish.  Gourmet is Audrey Hepburn, Bon Appetite is Julia Roberts.  They both have their fans.

Now I'm going to have to either get to know Bon a little bit better, or throw myself at Paula Deen and hope  for some inspiration.  It's really not the same, though.  Paula's cute and all, but you don't get the respect when it's her homey little face on your coffee table, instead of the venerable Gourmet....
(That is, if anyone ever came to my house, fought the kids off, dug through about 2 layers of toys and THEN found Gourmet on the coffee table....)


2 comments:

Lori R. said...

sniff, sniff... I feel your saddness...nothing like beautiful, glossy pictures to entice your palate. Those pictures take me off to imaginary tasting something I would not attempt to make. Ohhh, I have been known to gain weight just looking at the pics!!!

Denise said...

I think I need to eat that dessert on the cover. My favorite magazine was Country Home and they discontinued that. Now I have my Hobby Farm Home but it's not the same. Sigh, so sad when they discontinue your favorites!