I rejoined FaceBook, yesterday.
And I'm trying to be cool about it, but I just don't know.
It IS amusing, however, to people-watch there. My neice and godson are both in college, and their little walls are full of drama, angst and dating. (Or NOT dating, which leads to more drama and angst...) There are mothers and housewives, and on those walls there seems to be child-related-stress, house-cleaning guilt, and "what's going on in the world beyond mine and please, please tell me that life gets better after potty-training"! The men are all about guns, cars and work. Some sports. But right now, during hunting season, there's a lot of guns.
I sit in front of the little box asking me what I've got going on, completely paralyzed. Facebook feels too big for the little stuff (guess what I found in the back of my fridge?), and too little for the big stuff (marriage, birth, death, cancer, etc.). I start a thought, then find myself trying to explain so I won't be misinterpreted, then voila! it's a blog-post on FaceBook, and I end up deleting it. This obviously takes some skill, and I seem to be overthinking it...(Writing about killing flies, hole-y underwear and things like that just doesn't seem to work!)
There are two people that changed my mind about belonging to FaceBook; my friend Homer, who I'm trying to keep up with because he's so darned interesting and I can't be emailing him everyday, and Patricia from Pollywog Creek, who I admire greatly and if she can do FaceBook, then I can make the effort to try, too.
I talked to my friend and cousin Beth last night, and she may be the only remaining 20-something person in the world who is not on FaceBook. We are very, very similar creatures, and it's my goal, now, to get her signed up and see what she thinks....
14 comments:
Stay away from Farmville and Farmtown......
My wife is addicted to it.
I joined FaceBook because "everyone else was doing it" despite how my mom would have answered to that line (just because eveyone else is doing it, doesn't mean you have to!)
I am completely lost on it... I agree it isn't so intimate as blogging but I have been able to see pictures of people I haven't seen forever. Kids that used to live at my house during high school years, I have been able to glimpse at. I don't dare ask to be friends on their page, my kids would be mortified! and would call me to the rug on it...
So for now I do write a few things on it (not like blogging at all) and I just feel like I am being nosy on peoples' walls. But I guess that's whatcha do. Ohhh, I agree with TG, don't get started on the games, my sil and bro are soooo addicted!!!! They will give up sleep time to play!!!!
Did you see the skit guys on my blog yet... I think you would like it.... ttfn....
I think you're over-thinking it Mary... Most days I don't post anything in my status--It's just fun to see what people I've known for a long time are up to... I rarely even look at other people's walls. Occasionally I comment on their posts with a smart-aleck observation or just a thumbs up. I really enjoy the fact that 3 of my best college friends and I are able to keep track of each other and 1 of my friends from h.s. who I absolutely love is on there too. I probably wouldn't have even talked to them again in my life because over graduation, jobs, marriages, their phones and addresses changed more than I could keep up with.
I think it's a lot like people in general... most people are so consumed with their own wall and games and stuff, that they rarely pay that much attention to your wall. Just enjoy the possibility of reconnecting with people when and how-ever often you feel like it!
Oh goodie, look me up!!! I know what you meant though....I go back and forth, back and forth. I am blessed enought to have all the updates (updates only) on my phone so I just check up on what is going on, make a comment, update a status and hardly ever get "on" The problem is that I was on fb deleting old photo albums when my computer received it's death sentance. Sigh. When facebook is meant to do what is for, it is great. I have friends in other states and a cousin in Germany and we can finally all keep up on bits of our lives. I never play the games, would rather cuddle with hubby than play some stupid fb game...and I have given up games since they said I was boring and I realized they were right because I had been on doing NOTHING for way too long! I love love love facebook and hate it all at the same time, does that make any sense?
I agree with Traci, you're over-thinking it! It's just nice to see what old (and current) friends are up to in a laid back sort of way, what's going on in their lives, where they're at, things like that. Even before Everett, I might have posted status once a week. And, I don't fall in withthe quizzes and games, either, except sometimes I do a quiz when I'm really bored. gotta go, baby is crying!
There is an application called status shuffle! You may find it very useful!
Oh, I won't be playing the Farming games! I watched the Farmer do that for a while, and finally I asked him, "Why do you have a virtual farm, when you do it for REAL all the time?" He couldn't tell me. There was a lot of stress involved for him, with those crummy things!
I'm SURE I'm overthinking things...I generally do. Everything has SUCH SIGNIFICANCE in my life. How sad is that? I wish they'd use other terms, besides "Will you be my friend?" and "Accept or Ignore"....my goodness! If they just said, "Hey, so'n'so thinks they know you. You wanna see what the deal is, or do you have enough going on already?" and "Sure, I'll take a look" or "You know what? I really don't think so, today" it would be a lot easier for me to do.
Status shuffle? Where might I find that? What does it do? Does it eliminate the whole acceptance and rejection business?
Denise, there are 12 Denise Dyskstra's on FB!!! And your email didn't work. Drats. Try my email, and we'll see if we can't figure it out.
Well, I'm glad you're on FB. I've been missing you and I am spending more time there because most everyone I want to be closer to is there instead of blogland. I think you're the only reader I had left. So now I don't have to remember to post my garden pics on FB AND the blog... :)
Oh! Plus, you usually get WAY more comments/feedback on FB! ESp if your status is about food. Weirdly enough. I perform all these FB status experiments (gotta get my kicks somehow, right?) and everytime I have a status about food, I get a response. How funny is that?!
I also felt a lot of pressure to join FB. I rarely post. But I do change my profile picture a lot. If people post a lot of stupid stuff I tend to hide them. So DON'T post stupid stuff.
When you invited me to be a friend, my first thought was, "Oh, I hope she doesn't stop blogging." I Also it makes me feel more connected to you and your family, eventhough, I haven't seen you in years.
Type in Status Shuffle in the search box. That may work.
Kim, I post stupid stuff all the time. Have you hidden me yet?? ;-)
I find it just astounding that this post got so many comments! Granted, a couple were mine...but still!
I'll look for the shuffle thingy. I tried to do a bookshelf yesterday, and accidentally posted my ONE review to the wall, so now everyone knows what I think of Bill Bryson. AND there's a LIMIT on CHARACTERS TYPED!!! I didn't realize this, and had to pare down one post by something like 28 words, which causes the whole thing to lose it's sparkle and wit. Sheesh!
Keep reading the blog, if you can stand it. It's just more home-y to me.
Well, quite honestly, if you wanted to email me every day, I would look forward to each and every one of them.
Post a Comment