- Any breakfast cereal with the word "Pebbles" in it is banned from the house. When moistened with milk, the little chocolate/fruit coated puffed rice will stick to children like ticks on a sheep, then fall off around the house as they dry...for Mom to step on and powder.
- Toads make lousy pets. As do grasshoppers, fish from the reservoir and large spiders captured from the deck. The mortality rate is pretty high.
- Learn to like cold food, because that's going to be the temperature of your sustenance from here on out.
- Nothing draws a whiny, needy child to you like a phone call. Seriously. If the phone rings, it sets off an alert in their little bodies, compelling them to locate the Mama to hang onto and whine. The more important the phone call, the greater the volume. They will want ONLY things they know they can't have, and sob like you are beating them when you indicate with your free hand, "No!".
- The same woman who raised you on the principle "Spare the rod, spoil the child", will tell you that you shouldn't be so hard on your babies. This may cause some bewilderment on your part; just know that the minute you have a baby, the rules change for your parents. Grit your teeth and smile, and go ahead and buy that economy pack of wooden spoons.
- All children's toys come with 59 accessories and parts that must interface in order for the toy to work. You will NEVER have all the parts at the same time. You will, however, locate them tangled in your vaccuum or under the refrigerator when you move 20 years later.
- They don't play with those toys, anyway. They like boxes and sticks and rocks and anything belonging to a parent. Save your money.
- Children have amazing memories (for some things) and the minute you throw away the 112th picture or broken Happy Meal toy, they will NEED it. They will also remember every embarrassing detail about life in your household and share this information with any old person in the grocery check-out line. These are the same children who are unable to recall where they left their new tennis shoes outside, how to unplug the sink for the water to drain, and the complicated procedure of putting on a stocking cap.
- The days are 73 hours long, the years are 10 minutes. This is the strangest time warp, and one you'll never be able to wrap your brain around.
- You will long for peace and quiet, but when you finally do get it, it will be TOO quiet, and you'll want them back, with their grubby little fingerprinting paws and their chirpy little voices.
This list is by no means exhaustive, and will be added to as tips come along. Feel free to add your own tips in the comment box.
8 comments:
Here I am posting on your blog again. Today's blog made me cry because I have a 15 year old starting High School next week and I say yes to the 75 hour days but the years are 10 minutes.
My boys are past these years but as fast as they are growing I want to have those years back. It has been an amazing ride with them it seems the more I try to teach them things the MORE I learn. God is funny that way.
I know I said it once but I turly thankful for your blog. It has helped me see things in a different light.
Blessings,
Sandy
Can't wait for Part II. This was brilliant and hysterical and so, so true. (((Hugs)))
Wonderful list Farmer's Wife... Brings back memories... mine are 23&25. Yes, they do live to be that old despite eating dirt when they were young... I, just like Sandy, love your blog, your humor, and your wonderful sight into a day and life on the farm....
If I could just add one more to your list...
Every mom will give advice, no matter what the situation. Take some, leave some... We who are the advice givers, are just trying to pass on experience and that experience is a flashback to what we don't want to ever forget in raising our own! Let the good times roll.....
Mary - I left you an email. I leave Friday morn for Chicago and wanted to get this off to you before I am gone for 4 days...
Awesome, Mary! So true. And, yes, I can feel the rules changing already!! Tomorrow we find out if we're having a grandson or grandaughter... Will let you know!
Thanks, Mary! It's good that you wrote them down somewhere, because I'm sure to forget them, since 1/4 of my brain is being eaten by this child already.
I love it, Mary. Priceless, just priceless! To us the years seem like 5 seconds at our age!
Never forget the power of reverse psychology with a two year old. I always tell Allison kisses are yucky and I surely don't want one of her kisses. Works every time!
Post a Comment