
Some of you know that I really, really love football. Some of you know that I really, really, really love the Texas Tech Red Raiders. Some of you know that I also really, really love my friends, Scott and Traci Glasscock who love the Texas Longhorns. Some of you know that three of us friends have a girl's weekend for our birthdays in September, and the husbands join us on Day 2. It's the best weekend of the year, and we all look forward to it and hang on to the promise of it when things are going rough the rest of the year.
I just looked at the Red Raider's football schedule.
Yes, as you can see, my Red Raiders play their Longhorns on Couple's Night of the getaway weekend. When we are supposed to be sitting in Old Piney Dell Restaurant, plowing our way through the best food to be had in the great state of Montana. When we are celebrating Traci's and my birthday. When we laugh and drink outrageous wine and talk about anything but kids and farming.
This is going to be a SERIOUS test of our commitment to friendship, tradition, and sportsmanship.
I just have to say this: Last year, the Red Raiders, in a stunning ESPN-worthy moment, dehorned Texas in a really big, televised game. So the Horns are out for revenge. AND this 2009 game is televised, on ABC.
SO....
Scott Glasscock and I will be sitting there, at the restaurant, trying not to bolt to the nearest television, and making small talk with the others while trying to hurry them along with their steaks and twice baked potatoes. And I realize not everyone is quite as excited about football as I am, so I'm going to work on cultivating some self-control between now and then.
And I also realize the odds of the Red Raiders winning this game are not all that encouraging (Texas is #2 in the pre-season polls), but anything can happen, you know?
Mercy!
Stay tuned, the weekend of September 18-20th, to find out how it ends. (Hopefully, not the friendship...)
4 comments:
You are so right about "anything can happen", and I will be watching through gritted teeth the whole time. All I really care about is kicking Texas and A&M! Guns Up! Go Tech! Hope Mike gives the boys another pirate lecture before the games.
I might beable to agree with you about the longhorns but the AGGIES.....hummmmm
Thems fightin' words... I mean Really. Tech gets 3 reallys and we only get 2. The friendship might be on rocky terms already!
You may not want to be anywhere near a TV during this year's game, I'm sorry to say.
Post a Comment