Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Saints preserve us!

This blog has potential to be both more entertaining and inspirational...

*For my Catholic friends and readers: this post is not making fun of Catholicism, and I don't want you to be offended in any way, but if you ARE, straighten me out and I apologize up front, here.



This morning, just out of curiosity, I tried looking up the patron saint of accounting. I've been gnashing my teeth over the school books and expenditures, and wondered if there even was such a thing. I'm familiar with St. Francis of Assisi and St. Christopher, but that's about it.



Sure enough, there's a patron saint of accounting; Matthew, the apostle. The website I looked at didn't specify why he was chosen, so I'm going to have to do a little more digging on his qualifications. I've come to the conclusion that everyone is more qualified than I am in the area of accounting....



Scrolling down the page, I was astonished at the various saints and what they were patrons of! I'm not making this up, and I'm not making fun, mind you. It's truly interesting.



There's a patron saint for abdominal pains (as well as appendicitis, which would qualify, I guess), St. Erasmus; a patron saint of art dealers, St. John the Apostle; 18 saints for bachelors (I won't list them all); a patron saint of bartenders, St. Amand; a patron saint of cats, St. Gertrude of Nivelles, and the list goes on and on. I only made it through the patron saints of fishermen.



The website I went to, catholicpatronsaint.com, didn't give any background whatsoever for the reasons these were the saints for the particular situation or occupation. I'll have to do a little more research on that. And I'm not certain it's the most comprehensive list of saints, but it certainly seemed to have quite a few.



I go to a community Bible church, but have quite a few good Catholic friends. (They are both good Catholics and good friends.) We've never broached the subject of saints, but I think I'm going to have to call Thelma G. and get the low-down on them. The saints, that is...not the low-down on Thelma. Although, if any of you HAVE the lowdown on Thelma, please contact me!



See? More inspirational, more entertaining.

3 comments:

Lori R. said...

I just put it all in Ones' hands... It eliminates the middle man/woman....

Lori R. said...

Vous vous promènerez aujourd'hui ?
Are you taking a walk today?
I really am trying to brush up on French... thanks for the starter word!

The Farmer's Wife said...

Non, merci! Je suis en train de faire la vaisselle, la place.

No, thank you! I am doing dishes, instead.

(Doesn't EVERYTHING sound fancier in French? It's even prettier to read....sigh....)

I have to get busy with my French course. I can read and understand more than I can spit out.

I don't pray to saints, either, but I find it so interesting that there are so many saints for so many different, odd situations. Such as appendicitis...who KNEW there was a patron saint for appendicitis? Who came UP with that?