I had just poured a very nice glass of white wine and put my feet up to read an old issue of what used to be Montana Agri-news (can never remember the new name), Maggie was watching a Tweetie Bird cartoon, Angus was snoozing in the chair. What a nice evening! Wayland, strolling through the kitchen on his way to find some sort of scuba thingee, glanced out the window and calmly remarked, "Huh. There's a funnel cloud..."
You guessed it. The one you want around in a panic situation would be him, not me.
I ran (yes, ran...he continued to stroll) to the deck, and sure enough, there was a funnel cloud. Closer to my domain than I was comfortable with. I prefer them to stay in Kansas and Nebraska, their natural habitat, and look at pictures of them in the National Geographic.
Speaking of the National Geographic, it occured to me to get my camera, which is really never far from my hand. I snapped a couple shots of the cloud up high, then we saw that it touched down, and I tried to take a picture of that, too, although I was thinking it might be a bit blurry, from the nerves.
We continued to watch the sky, Wayland rather matter-of-factly, me quite nervously. A few minutes later, the phone rang and it was Thelma G., telling us that perhaps we should think about finding a basement in short order, because the cloud had touched down on their shed and removed a portion of the roof, along with other damage that she hadn't assessed yet. She WATCHED it! And not from the basement, either.
After talking to Thelma, Wayland decided maybe it would be a good idea to go to his folks' place. If nothing else, to bring my blood pressure down. So we loaded up, quickly, and drove to Vern's, where Vern and I paced around the kitchen and the deck.
Nothing happened, gratefully, but after we got home, around 9:30, the heavens opened up and it POURED rain, here, answering our prayers. This morning is calm, wet and foggy, and we are happy to not be able to hay, happy our friends and family are alright, and happy to still be in an undamaged single-wide trailer on the prairie.
Touch down, in Green's yard.



9 comments:
In your 2nd picture, it actually looks like there might be another funnel in the background hitting the ground. HOW SCARY! I would have been a lunitic! We have them in our area all the time, but I have never witnessed one with my eyes. My husband would be like yours, calm, collected... Glad all is okay. Have a great 4th of July...
p.s. just in case you haven't spotted it yet. I did send you an email. Not hurrying you at all, just mentioning it...
Wow! Glad you and yours are all ok. I grew up in IA but never saw a tornado, thought they weren't to common here in MT. We got heavy rain and strong wind about midnight. The wind was blowing the rain so hard we could feel it misting in the cracks of the mudroom where the roof meets the house. It leaks there anyway with a good rain! lol
Lots of thunder the kids slept through. Course Ben cut one of his best hay fields yesterday but the wind didn't blow the windrows. It did lay down all the tall grass in the meadow right below the house. That's gonna be fun to cut.. But the rain was welcome, 1/2 in here. And since it came from the north, hopefully it rained good up where the cows are.
Happy 4th!
Elise
I am glad y'all are all safe. Have a Happy and wonderful 4th.
Yikes! So thankful that y'all are ok. We've had some wicked weather in our parts, too. And a TON of rain. 6 1/2 inches on Thursday alone.
My daughter is terrified of tornadoes and warnings can put her in panic mode, too. We've seen way too many funnel clouds. When we visited our son Casey in Texas, she was impressed with their HUGE tornado sirens and told him that she could never leave any place that felt the need to have such a siren. At least with hurricanes we have plenty of time to evacuate.
Hope y'all have a safe and happy 4th of July!
Wow. These are awesome pictures, and isn't it just amazing that it hit a shed with all that open space out there. Tell the Farmer he needs to add storm chasing to his recreation list. I am so thankful it didn't get any closer to you than it did, and that no one got hurt. Take care and keep your eye on the storm.
I would have been at Mom's house in the crawl space before you had the first photo shot! Sounds like awfully wicked weather.
Oh my! Glad everyone is okay. I remember viewing a few of those when living in MT. A couple at home and one at the KMart in Glendive - yikes . . . not my favorite:)
Hey - we saw one about 10:30 or so last night coming home from fireworks, lit up by the lightning around it. Talk about a Twister moment. Strangly ennough, NOAA failed to mention any of it last night on satellite OR in the prediction they kinda forgot to update for 2+ hrs or so. Thanks for the pics (and impressive you stood still long enough to get them)!
So glad you are all safe. We in the Virgin Islands are wishing you well tonight. Hugs to all.
Homer
Post a Comment