Saturday, June 06, 2009

A politically incorrect recipe for you...

Before you start getting all incensed about my recipe title, and writing pointed comments for the fridge door, let me tell you that this recipe wasn't named by a member of my family. And I don't know what else to call it. "Native American Woman Corn Casserole" is pretty cumbersome to write across the top of the recipe card. But feel free to call it whatever makes you comfortable.

My Aunt Bert introduced Squaw Corn to us when I was a little kid, and from the first taste, I was smitten. When I got old enough to dig through the recipe box and attempt some cooking, it was one of the easiest recipes to make. Today we're having it with ham, but it's really great with steak, too. This version has been modified a little, because I can't stand not tinkering with food, so this is my take on Squaw Corn!

Squaw Corn
Mix together in a large bowl:
2 cans cream corn
2 beaten eggs
3/4 c. cornmeal
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup cooking oil
1 can diced green chilies
Pour half of the mixture in a casserole dish, and layer with 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
Pour remaining corn mixture on top of cheese, and top with ANOTHER cup shredded cheddar.
Bake at 350 degrees, uncovered, until a knife comes out of the center clean. *Maybe an hour? Depends on your oven.
Serve warm.

1 comment:

Texas Ghostrider said...

It sounds like a good little recipe. You might get me cooking and swapping recipes with all of y'all my northern neighbors yet!