
You know I'm a big fan of old movies..."How to Marry a Millionaire" is one of my favorites. In that movie, Marilyn Monroe plays a girl who is tragically near-sighted, as well as vain, and carries her glasses around in her purse until she is safely in the powder room. She has NO idea what her date looks like, or how to order off the menu. At one point, she's sitting on the airplane (the wrong flight, of course), explaining her plight to the gentleman next to her. She tells him that guys don't make passes at girls who wear glasses. (I'm pretty sure she never really had that problem...see the picture....but she embodies my insecurities about the implements!)
I've sort of worn glasses since I was about three years old. I say "sort of", because I wore them rather like Marilyn...if my mother was around, I put them on; if I was in a social situation, I'd leave them in my purse. When I got to high school, I got contacts. And they HURT! So I didn't really wear them, either. Most of the time, I just sat at the front of the classroom, which had the unintended effect of getting me good grades. (So I didn't LOOK like the brain, but the teachers assumed I was more interested...)
I finally gave in, last week, and went to see the optometrist for the first time in about 6 years. Braving my insecurities, I slunk in the door, grabbed a People magazine, and prayed for better eyes...you know, miracles COULD happen...maybe....
The good doctor spent a lot of time on my eyes...better in one, better in two...what is the lowest line you can read clearly....little drops that make me look like a ghoul....
I was starting to get a little worried, because there were a lot of "hmmm"'s and "let's try this"'s. Finally he revealed that I'm a truly odd case; I have one far-sighted eye and one near-sighted eye, and my brain has trained itself to adapt the sight at a high rate. My noggin is basically doing the job of lenses. GREAT!!! Except that I still needed lenses, to help at night and with computer fatigue. DRATS!!!
They ushered me down the hall to the Wall O'Frames. Now, before going in, the Farmer gave me a budget. "Keep the frames under $200. Or else."
Have you seen frames for glasses, lately? Better yet, have you seen the bargain frames for glasses, lately? Well, let me tell you, it's enough to keep a girl in the powder room for the rest of the dance...that's all I have to say.
Finally, after 20 minutes of agony, I selected a pair. But on the side, they proudly proclaimed their designers, Juicy Couture. I finally got the courage up to ask the little girl who obviously supervised the area, whether they were, um, appropriate for my age and station in life. She all but patted my elderly, age-spotted hand and told me that the women who designed that line were in their 40's, and I might be able to carry it off.
My next choice was: glass or plastic. (Which is more green? Smaller carbon footprint?) I went with plastic, keeping my budget in mind. Extra super-duper-scratch-lint-smear-and-reflection-protection? When I hesitated, she told me that they had made a lot of advances since the last time I had gotten glasses. (I made a mental note to call Lily and make that appointment for my annual Covering O' The Gray...) Oh, all right; let's get the protection. Transition lenses...no-line bifocals? Well, by this point, I couldn't take anymore veiled references to my aged-ness, so YEAH!, and budget be damned. A girl has to have SOME luxuries...
The Farmer entered the salon, about this time, blinking from his eye-drops, and all but recoiled at me wearing the new frames. "What do you think, honey?", I ask him, expecting the usual answer of : "Yeah. Looks good. Whatever makes you happy, dear.", only to get: "I'll reserve comment until we get to the car...".
WHAT?
"Well," he mutters, "they sort of look like...cat-eye glasses. In a way."
I'm NOT going through that whole process again, so I grit my teeth and think of Marilyn. She looked pretty good in cat-eye glasses. Not that I'm Marilyn. A not-so-gracefully aging sort, maybe.
Fast forward to the next week, and I now have my glasses. And, just like the hair, the women think they are edgy and cute; the men think they are...a little...well....maybe....retro?

Marilyn Monroe sincerely had more going for her, but I can still relate to her role and self-conciousness with the spectacles. This morning, the Farmer said I looked like a sexy geek. Hmmm.
5 comments:
1st... I too have a near-sighted and a far-sighted eye... welcome to my world! I only know one other person... my aunt Jean.
2nd. We all knew already you were kind of a geek to begin with... Heck that's part of the reason I LIKE you. I've always been a geek, so to find another within close proximity with kids that are the same age... well, it was part of God's plan!
But to be qualified as a SEXY geek. Well. That takes you to a whole new level of geekiness. Hmmmm. I may have to go shopping for some glasses so I can be a cool geek like you (or is that an oxymoron?.
Without offending the farmer, I have to agree with him. They do have that sexy geek look. A little retro but modern. Enjoy your new sight and keep them on instead of the purse. Geek is in....
Well, I like 'um. I think they look great! I finally broke down about 4 years ago and had Lasik done. and I had one eye surgically corrected near and one far! I couldn't be happier. I was near blind wearing contacts + glasses, one pair for near, one pair for far. Lasik corrected me to 20/30. I LOVE MY NEW CORRECTION!!!!! If your farmer is like my farmer, eventually they don't even notice. It is just change and THEY don't like change. Besides there's other things to think about like how did the cows get out and how's the yield on the corn doing?
Love 'em! As I was reading I was thinking, 'she had better have a picture of these things on here, I can't possibly wait to see what they look like'. So thank you.
My husband doesn't like my current glasses. I try hard to care... But I don't really like his, so I guess we're even.
Costco has frames for $50. And our medical coverage pays for it. I would've gotten a new pair recently -- for fun -- except that it would've meant another visit to the eye doctor and that's such a drag.
I really like them Mary...if I get a vote...I have a pair that are pretty much cat eye shaped and have a strong resemblence to a pair Grandma Singer once owned, which in my mind make them even better.
Post a Comment