Yesterday, I mentioned getting a new copy of Gourmet magazine, and how happy it made me. The subscription to Gourmet was a birthday gift to me, from my friend Anne, who somehow knew it was something I'd never do for myself, but would enjoy immensely. She was right, of course. I adore that girl!
Anne has been a blessing to me, and an unexpected kindred spirit that I didn't see coming! Some of you reading this have known Annie since childhood, and have better stuff on her than I do. We can talk later. Or you can leave an "Anonymous" comment here...it won't be traced.
We are both underground foodies, buying hummus ingredients on the sly, and having miso in our cupboards, where other people have good old vinegar. She delights me with her crazy soups and I've teased her into eating salads that she would otherwise have avoided.
We both have about 20 mismatched teacups, each, and love Victoria magazine. But we wear jeans everyday.
Annie reads crazy books, and it often turns out I read crazy books...then we swap. I'm now the proud owner of "The Ascent of Rumdoodle" , a book I never would've picked up on my own, but it tickles me to no end. When I first met her, I could tell she was a great candidate for the Underground Bookclub, and my instincts were right; and now, when she doesn't show up because of Pork Lady commitments, we are lost without her.
Plants, shoes, and fishing...all shared passions. We both shoot, but she does it so much better that I don't even attempt to do so when she's around. My fragile self-esteem can only take so much...
I love that we can pray together. I love that we laugh so much together, and that we've had the privilege of sharing many cups of coffee. Annie is one of those rare people that are weirdly cool, or perhaps cool-y weird, and I'm so grateful to her for her friendship and (this is so shallow, I can't believe it) her maple cookies.

So, Miss Anne, when you get home, call me! It's been a long time since we had a C.U.P.S meeting, and we miss you. And don't worry; I won't reveal your secrets on the blog. Yet. But maybe your Coffee Toffee bar recipe...
3 comments:
Awwww!
Gee Whiz... having just pulled up roots and moved to a new state, this post really makes me miss my girlfriends!
I need an Annie!
EVERYONE needs an Annie!
If you care to join us, at CUPS, you, too, can enjoy Anne and her Coffee Toffee bars, and her Vermont Maple cookies that taste like little bitty maple bars....and her photography, and her books, and her wit, and her cute baby.
She's the bomb! And oddly enough, she's not mad at me for posting this...
Post a Comment