Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Meet the Malus sisters, all gussied up in their spring finery! To me, they look like two ladies who put on their best boofy white dresses and have no-where special to go, so they're just going to stay home and sip tea out of their fancy china teacups, and ease into summer. They hum a little, courtesy of the chubby bumblebees bouncing from blossom to blossom. The sisters smell soft and sweet, and Angus hugs them because he just can't help himself.

Yesterday afternoon, the kids and I sat on the swing and talked about the Malus sisters. We looked at the blossoms, and how they are star shaped, and then we looked at the end of the Pink Lady apple Maggie snuck out of the fridge and found that same star! Angus hung on the end of the swing and chattered about the bees, and picked me some more flowers for my hair. We passed the Pink Lady around, and each took the biggest bite we could. Maggie is anxious to see the little apples, and she usually eats quite a few green ones through the summer, testing them. Angus climbs up into the little trees and plays pirate.

Wayland and I planted these trees the first spring after we moved into our trailer. They were some of those sticks from the NRCS office I was talking about in a previous post! It has been 9 years since then...amazing! They have been the growing-est little things, and every spring I hold my breath until I see the leaves. They produce the funniest little apples...not crabs, yet not "big" apples. Just the right size to eat, when you're swinging there with your Bible, in the sunshine, trying not to see the weeds in the yard.

If you come for a visit, I highly recommend sitting between the Malus sisters and listening to them whisper with the Montana wind. You'll likely get a sticky, dirty kid to swing with you, and they'll inform you of the bees and the apple stars, and tell you other nonsensical stories, while trying to "share" your lemonade.

3 comments:

Texas Ghostrider said...

Sounds like a delightful place to be.....

Christine said...

I have missed your blogs! Hopefully things will slow down so I can come visit more often! Hate it when life takes over my life!...lol

Would be neat to take a picture of your kids in front of the trees each year to see the growth each year. We planted a tree the height of my son whe we moved into our home 19 years a go. The tree now is taller than our home...thank goodness the son stopped growing at 6'3" lol

hugs =O)

Pam O'Brien said...

You paint such a picture when you write. I love your style!
At our house, we call those chubby bumblebees hovercraft! And when they hit the windows, which they do surprisingly often, they sound like birds!
The swing between the lovely sisters sounds magnificent...