Dandelions.
Scourge of the yard, or drops of sunshine from God?
My daughter and son are absolutely GIDDY, with all the dandelions in our yard. You can see by my title banner that there are, well, an epidemic of these plants.
Maggie brings them to me by the FISTFUL, exultant in her flowery-glory, and the ability to give me blossoms without scoldings. "Look Mommy! Look at all the flowers I picked for you! Aren't they beautiful?"
Yes, they are, sort of. But I'm still determined to eliminate them from my flowerbed (?), so I keep working at it.
Angus comes tromping over, with a dandelion head in each hand...no stem that I can see...and wants to add them to his sister's bounty. After some consideration, we decide to float them in the blue birdbath, and this tickles him to no end. Boats! I tell him thank you and kiss a sandy little cheek, and he replies, "You wumpum, Mommy!"
Well, shoot! How can you hate a plant that makes your children so happy? I think I still can, maybe.
When I turn back to my task, I realize I may have grown some prize-winning dandelion plants. They would intimidate Martha Stewart for a couple of minutes, I think. Big honkin weeds, I tell you.
But as I dig and dig those wretched plants up, I make some exciting discoveries: big honkin earthworms!!! Maybe dandelions add great nutrients to the soil to attract earthworms. You think? Maybe they aren't so bad after all.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I have about 57 dandelions to put in a Kerr jar, with a little girl breathing down my neck to be sure I do it just right.
Maybe they ARE little drops of sunshine from God....
Scourge of the yard, or drops of sunshine from God?
My daughter and son are absolutely GIDDY, with all the dandelions in our yard. You can see by my title banner that there are, well, an epidemic of these plants.
Maggie brings them to me by the FISTFUL, exultant in her flowery-glory, and the ability to give me blossoms without scoldings. "Look Mommy! Look at all the flowers I picked for you! Aren't they beautiful?"
Yes, they are, sort of. But I'm still determined to eliminate them from my flowerbed (?), so I keep working at it.
Angus comes tromping over, with a dandelion head in each hand...no stem that I can see...and wants to add them to his sister's bounty. After some consideration, we decide to float them in the blue birdbath, and this tickles him to no end. Boats! I tell him thank you and kiss a sandy little cheek, and he replies, "You wumpum, Mommy!"
Well, shoot! How can you hate a plant that makes your children so happy? I think I still can, maybe.
When I turn back to my task, I realize I may have grown some prize-winning dandelion plants. They would intimidate Martha Stewart for a couple of minutes, I think. Big honkin weeds, I tell you.
But as I dig and dig those wretched plants up, I make some exciting discoveries: big honkin earthworms!!! Maybe dandelions add great nutrients to the soil to attract earthworms. You think? Maybe they aren't so bad after all.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I have about 57 dandelions to put in a Kerr jar, with a little girl breathing down my neck to be sure I do it just right.
Maybe they ARE little drops of sunshine from God....
6 comments:
This is precious! I heard someone say once that weeds are just flowers growing in the wrong place. Your pictures of your kids are way to cute. Sure makes me wish I'd learn how to use the camera my kids bought me last Mothers Day...maybe this year. =O)
Hey, you were sooooo right...don't give the pop rocks to the dog! Thank you so much for the sweet treat. You gave me such a great idea for a treat for my Sunday school class...we are studying about the Parable of the sower. Last week I gave them chopped up oreos (looks like dirt) round sweet tarts (looks like seeds) and gummy worms in a little container. Talked about the good dirt...lol so I am thinking the pop rocks would be a great treat when we talk about the rocks for one of the soils talked about in the parable! So thank you for a great treat/idea for the kids! =O)
I want to wish you a very special Mothers day! Big Hugs =O)
I am enjoying your blog and posts. I used to be a freelance photojournalist back in the day. So, I enjoy your pictures, they are well thought out and composed. Keep them coming!Enjoy your kids and the country air.
I know someone out in your neighborhood that can make dandelion honey! Wouldn't that be fun? You know, when life gives you dandelions, make dandelion honey. I get many of those dandelion tops, too, and the thought is so sweet, how can you help but be touched?
Hmm, I've never heard of dandelion honey, but I have heard of dandelion wine. Maybe that will help you enjoy them! Anyway, I have never liked dandelions either, until my darling children started picking them for me this year. I definitely have a new love for the 'drops of sunshine from God.' We put them behind our ears at our house. Of course, you could always braid a crown or something...
I love dandylions. When I see a yard full of them, it makes me so happy and I wonder why we call them weeds.
Maybe that is because our yard only has two scrawny ones in it.
You could become a dandylion farmer? Those greens fetch a high price at gourmet markets...
My kids love dandylions too. I like how they don't think they are weeds. (They are right, of course.) My boy picked a whole bunch and said, "I'm going to give these to grandma because she is SUCH a special person!" I like that he thought she deserved the best and the best were dandylions.
Well, the tricky part about becoming a dandelion farmer is the market. No one around here eats them, or has even thought of eating them. Distilling the blossoms, yes; eating the greens, no. Can you believe that?
I LOVE that your son wanted to give the very best to Grandma!!! Really, think of the richness: all the little yellow flowers you can pack, and no one stopping you from picking them! Everyone should have them!
Post a Comment