Sunday, May 03, 2009

Strange Summer Salads, Part I

In the spirit of spring, and because I like making strange (to other people) salads, I thought I'd post a salad recipe occasionally. I won't post a salad recipe that I haven't tried....we've found, through bookclub, that's just a disaster. Always try it before you share it.

This is one of my FAVORITE salads, and it's really not all that strange. But I'm making it today, and it seemed like a good one to start with. (Lure you in, then pull the switcheroo...)

Spinach Salad with Strawberries
(Lisa Waterman, this one's for you! You don't even have to disguise the spinach. Just dress it up.)
In a large salad bowl, toss about 5 cups of fresh spinach (or 1 boughten bag) with 1 pint of sliced strawberries.
Dressing:
1/2 c. sugar (yes, 1/2 cup)
2 T. sesame seeds
1 T. poppy seeds
1 1/2 tsp onion, minced
1/4 tsp. worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/2 c. salad oil (such as canola)
1/4 c. vinegar
Put all dressing ingredients in a blender and mix well.
Toss with the spinach and strawberries.
Optional topping, after dressing the salad, are bits of bacon and sliced,toasted almonds. It really is gilding the lily, but if you REALLY want to impress, that's the way to do it.
Bon Appetite!

5 comments:

Kerri said...

LOVE this salad!!! I made it not too long ago for my retreat committee girls (hey, are you still planning on attending?!!) but I don't use a homemade dressing. I use Litehouse's Bacon Spinach Dressing....sooo good warmed up and then poured on the salad. I will have to try your version because a girl is not always going to have access to Litehouse dressings!

Very cute picture of your kiddos~
hope you had a wonderful weekend!

Lori R. said...

I have just stumbled upon your blog and I just love it. I am a farmer's wife of 32 years and can relate to each of your stories. Last year we decided to sell our whole herd and just do grain. We are glad we made the decision to do that, but oh how I miss the spring calves; looking for the new ones, bottle feeding, being called "maaaa" as I walk away from them. Thanks for a glimpse back to what I loved about the herd.

Erin said...

Mmmmmmm! Makes me want to run out and get the ingredients right now. Can't wait for summer. . . there isn't anything that's much better than fresh juicy strawberries (the melt-in-your-mouth) kind. . . fresh peaches or raspberries are close.

michelle said...

Mmm...and I just picked a whole ton of spinach this morning...I'll have to pick up some berries at the store tomorrow...

Pam O'Brien said...

Mmm, love spinach/strawberry salad! That dressing sounds delicious - gonna try it! My mom, aunt, cousin are coming for a visit in a couple of weeks... maybe it'll be on the menu then. ;-)
Also love your blog banner. What an adorable picture. I love that your daughter is oblivious to the fact that her top is down around her waist as she gleefully makes a dandelion bouquet!