Friday, March 06, 2009

Penny

I was frantically cleaning out my closet this morning, trying to find some sheets for the camper that seem to have disappeared in the Bermuda Triangle of my house, AND purging my closet of second-hand clothes to recycle through St. Vincent De Paul. (That's not a trendy boutique, despite it's French sounding name...it's the second hand store in Miles City. I buy most of my clothes there. The rest of my wardrobe comes from Karen's Closet, a very exclusive place in Billings. So exclusive, in fact, that only her daughters and I get the castoffs. The price is right, and Karen has impeccable taste. )

Anyway, I came across a white cotton sleeveless blouse that I've had for 12 years, if I've had it a day, and laughed out loud. "I have to tell them the story of Penny!", I thought to myself, while I continued to dig and fold and sort. (Yes, I have THAT type of closet...) I went on with my day, and took 4 bags of recycle-able clothes to Miles City and traded them for 1 bag of new-to-me clothes and 1 bag of books.

So here's the story. My friend Ty Yost once dated a very nice girl from Colorado named Penny, who also had impeccable taste in clothes. (Come to think of it, most of his girlfriends did!) I met her once, I believe, the first summer I lived with Yosts. Anyway, she had used this white shirt for a rag, and Karen Yost found it, unbelieving that she truly meant to treat it in this manner. Penny said that yes, it was old and she didn't want it any more. Karen, recognizing quality, quietly washed it up and put it in her own closet. After a couple of years of wear, she passed it on to me in a bag of hand-me-downs, and laughingly told me the story.

I loved the shirt! It's tailored, with subtle insets of stitching around the edges of the hems, and looks great with jeans, skirts, shorts, suits, capris...the perfect sleeveless linen-look cotton blouse without all the care of linen. I've worn it to family photo shoots, weddings, picnics, you name it. And somewhere along the line, I started calling it Penny. Penny and I are starting to look a little alike, sadly. Sort of dingy, a little worn around the edges. And when someone compliments me on my blouse, I say, "Oh, this old rag...?" and chuckle to myself at the truth of the matter.

Penny made the cut, once again, but I know it's not going to be too much longer she stays in my closet. I think I'm going to have to start wearing her when I garden or gather cows. I don't think I will ever be able to send her back to the rag bag, though. We have too much history, together. I have no idea what ever happened to the girl, Penny, but I think of her every time I wear the shirt and shake my head at her choice of rags. And I bless Karen for rescuing one of the nicest blouses I've had the pleasure of wearing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this story. This is why it is better to have a small number of items you dearly love rather than a heap of stuff you care nothing for.

michelle said...

I don't think it'd be right to ever part with that shirt -- what a great story!

Kerri said...

Greetings from Disney! I have a few clothes like that....very comfy and great memories.

How's everyone feeling at your house these days? Miss you!!

Shawna E said...

Thank Goodness!!! I have a few pieces of clothing I feel that way about, even if they don't fit right now! I was starting to think I was crazy!!!