1. Why is it that you can buy identical toys at the same exact time, with no apparent distinguishing marks, and the siblings will both want the "desirable one" and cannot be cajoled or bribed into taking the less desirable toy. And I'm talking Happy Meal toys, here. Do they emanate some sort of vibes that only kids can detect?
2. Why is it that my children will poke suspiciously at perfectly good, fresh, appetizing food on the plate in front of them, but pick up, without hesitation mind you, the fruit snack the dog spit out under the table from that morning? Why IS that? I'm thinking of serving their meals on the floor, under the table, on a napkin. Perhaps they'd be better received...
3. Where do children's socks go? I tell you, we've probably purchased 100 socks, in perfect pairs, for these children and we can only find about 15 random socks. Do you think the dog eats them? Do they end up in Abu Dhabi? I think if someone else is using them somewhere, fine; but I have nightmares about someday finding 85 socks in the heat vent, after the kids go to college.
4. Why do kids break everything they set their hands to? Everything!! And don't give me that old Dr. Dobson adage that they just want to see how things work! Couch cushions are no big mechanical mystery. Neither are magazines. Or Tupperware bowls, for pete's sake. I called my mother a couple of weeks ago, in dead seriousness, and apologized for breaking all her stuff. She couldn't figure out what I was talking about, at first, but when she DID figure it out, she couldn't stop laughing...I was totally serious, now.
I think that's about all for tonight. If you have any insight, whatsoever, about any of these questions, PLEASE, for the love of all mothers, comment and share. There are mothers reading this right now that are nodding their heads and saying, "Amen, sister! Preach on!" I've searched all the Dobson and Bombeck tomes and found nothing.
9 comments:
Hmmmm, I have a hundred gazillion mis-matched socks and my kids HAVE gone off to college and/or moved out! It doesn't just stop with kids' socks. And I've checked, they're not in the heat vent. Sorry to tell you that. Nowadays, I can say that the puppies like to grab a random dirty sock and play with it for hours. I'm not sure if that sock ever makes it into the washer, either. Hence the reason for another mis-matched sock.
Come check out my three laundry baskets of mis-matched socks...perhaps your socks have traveled west to my house! But, I'll warn you, I haven't seen any little socks here. :)
have a great morning~
Abu Dhabi. The socks go to Abu Dhabi. My parents made me do a research paper in Jr. High, that included matching socks weekly for inventory. I'm telling you, they go to Abu Dhabi.
I really wish I knew why my kids break everything! We just can't have nice things! Glad to know we aren't the only ones.
I was thinking about that last night as I was vacuuming my stained carpet in the living room. Someone should tell new mothers that unless they plan on hovering over their child until they are say 12, they might as just go to a 2nd hand store and buy used furniture and be sure to have linoleum so that there is no risk of ruining a new carpet. I think that should be included in "What to Expect..." Don't you?
1. Can't help you there, my kids are stuck with the one in their bags - no matter what it is.
2. We have had good look with banishment to the room until they are willing to eat it - amazing how good something tastes when you are hungry.
3. I wish I knew - all my socks have disappeared as well and I know we have a gazillion of them around here - maybe we will find them all when we move. That or I'll find the occasional sock attached to some article of clothing I haven't worn in a while.
4. Growth spurts - you sometimes have a hard time controlling your actions during these times - at least that is my hope as I can't take all the distruction forever. That or it is so they have control of some part of their universe ...
Jenny
As for the socks... the missing half of the pair will appear as soon as you throw away the first half! Seriously... After waiting years for the reappearance of the sock gone AWOL, I can't tell you how many times I've said to myself, "I know I threw that sock out months ago..."
Maybe you could devise a scheme to make the appearance that the original sock has been thrown away and when the other shows up... Ah Ha! Gotcha. You'll have a pair again. :-D ??
As for all of the other antics of childhood... I have no solutions, but it was sure nice to reminisce. Before you know it, they'll be grown and married and, oddly, these will be happy memories! (And you, too, will laugh with them for their phone calls to you, made in exasperation!)
Sam always wears mismatched socks....always. What is even the point?
If it helps, I'll call my friend Cindy in Abu Dhabi (I'm not joking) and have her check for the piles of socks. However, if she and her five kids are missing some...does that mean we have theirs?
Laugh ~ And today I laughed again as I was reading through the Farmers wife blog! You are so healthy for me!....lol I'd really like the answers to these questions as well!
Post a Comment