Well, she didn't run away again, but she DID move out last night! The good thing about my girl is that she's able to learn and adapt. She decided not to run away, because it was getting dark, but the loft in the playground looked like a great place to live where no one would be on her case all the time. So she packed her backpack up, AGAIN, and her new horse sleeping bag, announced her impending departure and strolled out of the house.
It didn't get quite the response she was looking for. Keep in mind that it was about 15 degrees out, and I was already pretty peeved with the child. I told her to watch out for wild animals and wished her well.

Here are the pictures of her hideout. She's TOTALLY mad that I was amused! And get this: she managed to tough it out for about 20 minutes. She's TOUGHER than her mama, I can tell you that. After a decent time for us to miss her, she came and requested help packing up, and apologized for her snottiness. And saw the chips and sandwiches on the table, and suddenly remembered that even though she'd seceded from the union, she'd not packed hardtack.
All is well, now, but I had to tell on her. And for heaven's sake don't give her a lantern for her birthday, or she'll be gone....
6 comments:
What a post! I can imagine my little Reegan is going to be a lot like your little Maggie. I love that you told her to "watch out for wild animals" and then wished her well. That's classic!
As for the cookies at our house, you must've noticed that Reegan didn't have any dough to roll and actually the cookies were already out of the oven. I was rolling, cutting, and baking while she was amused with playdoh. It's not all as smooth as it looks, but thanks for the compliments:) I'll take 'em!
Oh Mary, you have your hands full with that one. I'm glad mine hasn't tried that one yet - I guess I'm not as strict as you are :>
Jenny
Hmmm, a beagle puppy would have kept her warm out there and perhaps put a smile on that little face. I was licked to death this morning!!!!!!!!
Praying for you....Jennifer was so much like Maggie. I can't remember if she ever left home but boy, did we have some moments. She's 23 and a high school Spanish teacher -- she's still got spunk, too!
Ok, that girl is seriously tough - she has no coat on and 20 minutes is a long time.
And just another random thought - if she didn't have a wheeled suitcase, it would be harder to run away....
Just saying.
Jenny
You know what? The LAST time she ran away, the only way I found her was by noticing the wheel tracks in the dirt, headed up the road! (That post is somewhere in the archives...maybe October?) My mom bought her a bright yellow coat, thinking that she could be seen for a long way if she wears that. The key word here is "if".
And YES, she's too tough for her own good. I'm getting tougher, too, though, and much, much smarter.
I can't WAIT until she calls me, telling me about her kids giving her gray hair!!! I'll pull out some of these stories!
What a tough little cookie! But I LOVED your response. I can't wait for my children to call me and tell me their children are driving them nuts and giving them grey hair. I will just remind them they are being paid back for all the things they did to their MOM.
Kids do say and do the darnedest things. I am glad you are recording it on the blog to share with them at a later date. It is fun for us lurkers to share too.
Last weekend my 4 year old grandson Kyle was sitting on Uncle Ryan's lap. Ryan asked Kyle why he wasn't taking a nap. Kyle responded, "Uncle Ryan, it's like this. Sometimes it happens and sometimes it don't." I am still laughing.
Keep blogging. We all share the kindred spirit of Motherhood. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment