Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day!


This is my FAVORITE of all holidays! And it has been since I was just little. There are pictures of me holding a Valentine from my Dad that is nearly bigger than me, when I was not yet 1, and he's faithfully given me a box of candy every year of my life. Yesterday, I went to the mailbox and there it was! He was my first Valentine, and probably will always be my favorite. And Dad always signed his cards to me with x's and o's....I look for them!


When I was in the one-room country school, it was a big deal to make Valentine boxes! I remember working so hard on those, and it was so fun to see what everyone came up with. There was great worry over what Valentines to give whom, because I wanted the boys to know I liked them, but in a general "you're pretty cool, for a boy" sort of way. It was very complicated.


I love the paper heart-shaped doilies, the construction paper hearts, the chocolate, the girly aspect of it...everything! Last year I tried to make red pancakes for my family. They were met with great suspicion and I probably won't do that again this year. I think we'll do something with the strawberries.


Oh! And I gave the bookclub girls a little package, on Thursday, sort of as a joke....inside there was a pendant I made, a bodice-buster swoony romance novel, heart shaped glitter and a homemade card. Happenstance would have it that I was able to tailor each book for each person; Scottish lords for my Caledonian friends, artist stuff for my artist friend, Southern Scarlett-type for the Gone-With-The -Wind buff. I'd grabbed a handful of them at the secondhand store without looking, and it was a funny coincidence! Anyway, no one was that impressed with the handmade card or pendants I'd labored over, but they LOVED the books! How funny! We were reading parts out loud and laughing when the hostess's Dad called. She was trying to shush us, but we were having too much fun. Dear me. I wonder what he thought of her bookclub!


Hope you have a wonderful Valentine's day, full of xoxxoxoxoxoxox's!

5 comments:

Kerri said...

Happy Valentine's Day, dear friend!! I loved reading your post today~ how sweet!!!

Off to breakfast with my parents and then on the road to get to camp...I'm excited to be out in God's beautiful creation, hiking and seeing the waterfalls, tall trees, lush moss and Lake Crescent.

xoxo Kerri

Kerri said...

Hahahaha, you must have been posting on my blog while I was writing on your's! Too funny. Chocolate on your face?! Quick, eat some more for me! Drinking a weak cup of coffee here -- my parents don't like strong coffee, but it's warm! Enjoy your day~

TraciG said...

Happy Valentine's Day to you my friend! I was jealous when I heard about your breakfast date and Utza coffee.... complete with Thomas in the background. I was awakened by a sweet boy and a sweet package from a sweet man. Made my year I think.
Anyway, we're going to make a Red Velvet heart cake for the man today, and just enjoy being home!
xoxoxoxo

Erin said...

Your post was very cute. I love Valentine's Day as well:) One of my favorite things was when I was in junior high and high school. We made and sold "Valograms" for everyone's lockers. I had so much fun making them and figuring out who should get which one and from who. As a teacher, I love having my kids make boxes and enjoy watching them open their valentines. It's such a sweet day - enjoy!

Marisa said...

Happy Valentine's Day! Valentine boxes at our school this year were: a mailbox, a tractor, a race car, a rose, and a spaceship! We used rinsed-out clorox wipe boxes!