Monday, February 02, 2009

Bobby Burns Night 2009


Bagpipes thrill me. They are wild instruments that defy description, and inspire strong memories and feelings in those who have the privilege of hearing them. It is my personal opinion that in order to truly appreciate them, you should hear them outside with hills all around to echo back the song and the wind to carry it for miles. When I hear them inside, they seem trapped....still beautiful, but constrained.

Once a year, we have the privilege of hearing the best bagpipes and drums in the country play in celebration of Robert Burn's birthday. For three hours, the gym of the community college in Miles City, filled with around 800 people, rocks with traditional Scottish music and dance. This is a 101 year old celebration and if you ever get the chance to attend, don't miss it!



This is a picture of our friend Scott Glasscock, playing for some of the dancers. He's the head piper and deservedly so. We didn't know for the longest time that in the Caledonian world, he has acheived sort of rock star status and is asked to sign autographs and have photos taken with starry eyed fans! And this year, I noticed a difference in the stockings that the pipers wear. I asked Traci, his wife, about this and she said puffy socks are all in fashion right now. Who knew?!! So if you encounter a bagpiper, wandering around with flat socks, you might want to let him know that all the cool Caledonians are wearing puffy socks. It's all the rage.



My husband is Czech/Bohemian and can't keep a beat to save his life, and I'm Irish Norwegian, so we are sort of Scot wannabes, I guess. Scott and Traci graciously allow us to sit at their table anyway and never say a word about our lack of clan tartans. This year I tried to take pictures but was completely stymied by the poor light and constant motion! The result was that all the pictures have complete movement and soft edges, and oddly captures the feel of the evening. I was hoping for crisp, professional images and instead got really dreamy, active ones that make you feel like you forgot your glasses!

There's really no way of blogging this to do it justice, so I'm going to add a couple more pictures and call it good. Hope you enjoy them, and if you're ever in the Miles City area the end of January next year, hunt us up and we'll try to get you in to Burns. And if you buy Scott a Guinness, maybe he'll sign your puffy socks.




8 comments:

TraciG said...

I love love the 1st picture... She looks like a ghost dancing... so much fun and so glad you were there with us!

Marisa said...

I love the first picture also. Wish I could have been there! Have been waiting for a blog about Burns! Oh my goodness! Who is in the pic at the bottom?

Amber said...

I love the bag pipes. I tear up when I hear them now, as I still remember Scott playing them at my Dad's funeral. I hope to hear him play at a happier occasion some day.

The Farmer's Wife said...

Hey!
Marisa, I have no idea who any of the people are in the photos, except for Scott, and maybe Joel Woods. The very bottom picture I took because I love it when the band lines up and all of a sudden there's a swell of pipes and drums. Makes a chill run down my back everytime! The little dancers make me laugh. You've never seen a more serious bunch, I'll tell you that!
Oh, Amber, I hope you can attend Burns in the future and create some happy memories with the pipes. Mark it on your calendar, and bring the family.

Marisa said...

No,the bottom of the blog, not the post!

The Farmer's Wife said...

That's the Lord Master of the Universe and his friends. (He gave himself the title; I perpetuate it.)

Marisa said...

Has Madame Serengeti arrived?

The Farmer's Wife said...

I just ran and checked the porch for perhaps the 15th time since noon....no UPS! I went to the tracking thingee and it's out for delivery.

On the brighter side of life, Schwan's found our house again. It turns out the new driver couldn't find the pink flamingos, because they had been buried under snow for two months. Probably saved me from certain caloric intake!