Sunday, January 18, 2009

Thank God: For Dirty Dishes, Smelly Clothes and Unmade Beds.



My dishwasher is broken. It's been broken for two weeks now, and after the repairman examined it and declared it fried, we were informed it would be another two weeks to get parts and fix it. I really don't mind washing dishes; it's a contemplative time for me and my brain drifts away "to the Vesuvian Bay" with my hands in the soapy water!

I ran across this poem, author anonymous, that I hung near the sink to keep my attitude where it needs to be and I wanted to share it. I have a couple of friends with toddlers and preschoolers, and we are constantly fighting the mess in our houses. So, Traci and Beth, this is for you, too!

Thank You, God
Thank you, God, for all I have to do today.
Thanks, God, for this sink of dirty dishes,
It shows we have plenty to eat.
Thanks, God, for this pile of dirty, stinky laundry;
It shows we have plenty of clothes to wear.
Thanks, God, for those unmade beds in there.
They were warm and so comfortable last night
And I know there are many who have no beds.
Thanks, God, for this bathroom; complete with all the
Splattered mirror, soggy, grimy towels and dirty commode.
They are so convenient.
Thanks, God, for this finger-smudged refrigerator
That needs defrosting.
It is full of cold drinks and enough leftovers
For two or three meals.
Thanks, God, for this oven
That absolutely must be cleaned today.
It has baked so many things over the years.
The whole family is grateful for that grass that needs mowing,
The lawn that needs raking; we all enjoy the yard.
Thanks, God, even for that slamming screen door.
My kids are healthy and able to run and play.
Lord, the presence of all these chores awaiting me
Says you have richly blessed my family.
I shall do them all cheerfully
And I shall do them all gratefully.
Amen

4 comments:

Kerri said...

I had a broken dishwasher for two years while my hubbie was overseas. Lots of dishes by hand! However, the dishwasher became a great place to store my larger items (like my soup pot, big tupperware bowls, etc) When I got a new dishwasher, I missed that extra storage space! :)

Love your pictures up at the top. Cute!! Tell your daughter that the snifferdoodles are outside, getting into whatever trouble they can find. Glad she loved their picture!

TraciG said...

I might otta put this where I can see it every day....

A Friendly Reader Only said...

Thanks for the wonderful poem - It was a great reminder that even a mess is a blessing!! Sometimes we focus so much on our everyday chores as burdens it is nice to be reminded that our blessings are all around us too.

michelle said...

What a great reminder. For the obvious reason, as well as the fact that it reminded me to clean my oven. I baked a pie in it the other day and I always forget to clean it until after the smoke starts pouring out after I turn it on. Smoked cookies anyone?

But yeah, the mess was the result of a PIE so I can't really complain.