Actually, Mavis and Sue (aka Mary and Traci) were going to leave the kids at preschool, but realized they had left their REAL phone numbers on the contact sheets, so they had to go pick them up. Oh well, we did sorta miss the little boogers.We took Ben and Maggie to preschool in town today and had three hours to kill. That's right; three hours away from our chores, laundry, dishes, dustbunnies! We hardly knew what to do with ourselves! But then, inspiration hit: we'll call ANNE! She's a stay-at-home, work-at-home mom (sitting duck) and we can share our magazines and contraband doughnuts with her. Besides that, she makes great coffee. And has a kid-proof house for the two year old that came along. Perfect.
Anne actually answered the phone, (I used Traci's and she's unfamiliar with that number...totally messed her up.) and put on a brave face and a pot of her famous coffee. She gave us some big line about how she was looking for company, but I'm sort of suspecting she really had no place to run, since Gwennie had been up crying from 4:30-7:30 a.m. She's far too polite to tell us that she's polishing the silver today and can't possibly recieve guests.
And it was a delightful three hours. Her wall o'windows faces South, and the house was warm and bright, AND she had put chocolate chip loaded chocolate muffins in the oven. Gwennie was sleeping peacefully and there were garden catalogs on the counter. We had coffee with real live heavy cream, doughnuts and the muffins, and soaked up sun and friendship. I tell you, it was good medicine!
Time passes quickly when one is pigging out and before we knew it, we had to leave. Anne enquired as to whether this would be a weekly event, (enabling her to make hair and doctor appointments every Wednesday, thus avoiding Perpetual Hostess Syndrome) and we told her the truth...yes.
When we got back to preschool, Ben and Maggie appeared to have had a good time and brought their little paper plate frogs out with big stories to go along with them. The teacher asked whether they were coming back, after I handed her the checks. Upon reflection, I wonder if she was asking that because, like Anne, she may change preschool days to avoid us. She DID say the kids in the room were unusually wound up and loud this time. I'm going to pretend it was the barometric pressure and assume we are still on for next week.
It WAS such a fun morning, and now the kids are napping their little hearts out, despite initial protests. I hope every Wednesday goes this way...it will be like having bookclub once a week. That is, if we figure out what day they move preschool to, and if Anne is screening her calls.
3 comments:
Lucky You! Your kids are sleeping. Allison decided her 20 minute nap from Anne's to town was good enough and Ben is just too "big" to take a nap. I kicked them outside into the mud so I could do my Bible study. Thanks for a great morning, Anne, Gwen, and preschool teachers! Hopefully they will wecome us back!
Oh man, I wish I was home! Coffee, doughnuts, gardening catalogues, no fair. Of course, you could stop by my house if Anne "isn't home?" The bookshelves need dusted, the basement floor swept, the bathroom, oh never mind, that was the fun of getting away from home, wasn't it?
You guys are too funny. I know that Shelby really enjoys going and mentioned new kids today that she thought she knew. It was pretty cute...she loves going, but then again she is a MAJOR social butterfly when she wants to be.
**If they do change the date I will let you know**
:-)
Post a Comment