Portrait of Pluhar Meals
Welcome to supper at our house. You'll note that the only individual that is clothed is the father, and you can tell by his body language how absolutely thrilled he is with either the menu or the conversation. Likely he's just had to explain the origin of macaroni or where Poppop is. You'll also see that the dog is well-behaved, laying there waiting for said macaroni to fall in a big clump under the kid's chairs...which it will, have no doubt about that! (Wayland will say the dog is NEVER this polite and that she probably just got a scolding for nudging the arms of the children, encouraging the droppage of food....he's just jealous that his dog can't even be in the room during a meal; sour grapes, pay no attention.) The toddler is trying to put macaroni in his sippy cup by brute force and the older sister is either ratting him out or giving him helpful tips. Either way, there are going to be tears in about 3 minutes from someone. At our table, every 3 minutes there are tears for something, so that wasn't hard to predict. I love this picture! It reminds me of some of the things Norman Rockwell painted, except his subjects were usually dressed. Maybe he just painted them that way. If you come to supper some evening, we'll try to get the kids in decent apparel, plie the father with a beer so he cheers up, and the dog will be on the other side of the window begging. I have absolutely no guarantees that there won't be mac and cheese, though. You take your chances!
5 comments:
Are the fish still alive? I'm waiting in suspense. Love the picture, it does remind one of a Norman Rockwell painting. I was thinking it would look good in black and white or sepia, truly. Is the princess posing in the window?
The fish live!!! The funniest part is that the three little neons pick on the betta, so he hides behind the filter box most of the time. It looks like a gang thing.
I'm not sure the princess is posing or not. She uses that action when she's telling stories, bossing,everything. Odd you would use the term princess, because I find it to be a really imperative action. All she needs is a scepter and willing (key word, here) subjects....
Thanks for the fish update...I also was very curious. Also, we heard the "Rest of the Story" concerning Mags giving up her "sassy." That story might also be worthy of a good post - since the local law enforcement got in on the action on your behalf :) Frankly, the meals at the Pluhar house have always been better and more interesting than at House of Miller. In the words of Martha..."It's a Good Thing."
Oh I love it! We rarely eat around the table. Let's see--kids with me 50% of the time. We are only home for 50% of those meals. And with Tristin working, swimming or playing with her friends that puts us all three together for about about 12 meals a month or 6 every other week. Usually we eat at the table together once a week. The rest of the time it's at the island in the kitchen or together in the tv room. Oh my word, this is a really sad comment. I did make beef stew in the crock all night so we will be dining at the table. That's usually the rule--if I make a nice big dinner from scratch it's always at the table. Count your blessings--naked children and all!
LOVE the picture. And commentary. I'm glad other people's children run around the house naked too. And that there are tears every three minutes. And that mine isn't the only husband whose dinner posture indicates his sentiments on the menu or choice of company.
Post a Comment