Thursday, September 01, 2016

It's HARD

Happy September!

I was going to do other posts here before the blog challenge week hit again, but our computer monitor (that has faithfully served us for 17 years) died and we only just got the new one.  It seems so BIG and bright!

The topic on the challenge today is for me to write about something that's hard for me, something I struggle with.  That particular topic could be its very own blog!

Here's the biggest struggle I have, day to day:
FOCUS

Oh, my stars....

When the movie "Finding Nemo" came out, I immediately identified with Dory, the little blue tang fish, who (as she regretfully but truthfully admits) suffers from "short term memory loss".


It's not that I forget things immediately, but that I'm easily distracted from something which leads to distracted from THAT, which leads to.....what are we having for supper? 

The only thing I've found that works is to write every, every, EVERYTHING down.  I have a planner that I use daily, two calendars, highlighted reminders, lists for groceries/town errands/daily to-dos.  This blog challenge is in my planner with a little check box to it because if I don't have it there, I'll completely forget.  I can hide things from myself, like a chocolate bar, and if I don't see it, I don't remember it....isn't that awful?! On Sundays, I line out my week with a menu for all the meals and a review of "what's happening".

It really throws me when school schedules change or the day gets scrambled around, because my total daily plan flies out the window, and there it goes. It may SEEM as though I'm organized, but it's just the opposite.  I think truly organized people carry a mental checklist around in their heads and can adjust it on the fly.  

The good thing about this, though, is that I'm going to transfer seamlessly into senility.  No one will be able to tell when I lose my marbles because it will just be an extension of my day to day distraction and forgetfulness.  


**POSTSCRIPT**
Another thing I struggle with was highlighted this morning and I feel compelled to share it with you...

Backing up a trailer...horse trailer, camper trailer, little bitty lawnmower hauling trailer, LEGO trailer...I can DO it, but Lordamercy it's painful for anyone to watch because it takes a ridiculous amount of time and salty vocabulary.  

That's all the confessions for today, folks! 

No comments: