Today's assignment is to write about something I feel strongly about.
I thought a long time about this one, because this year it seems everyone feels strongly about EVERYTHING. No matter what I thought to write, it seemed heavy and controversial, and I don't know about you but I'm quite weary of that.
And then it came to me.
I believe that if you love someone, you should tell them.
Don't assume they'll be able to figure it out or that they already know or that you'll get to it someday or that it's too scary so it's best to avoid the matter.
Tell them.
Just say it.
In the family I was raised in, we always have and continue to do so. When my grandpas each died, I was sad of course, but there was no doubt that the last words we spoke to each other were "Love you, Gramps" and "I love you, child".
(Yes, I'm crying, here. So many people I love and miss...)
It's good to back up the words with action, of course. Words can be empty without action, meaningless without the follow-up (or perhaps precedent). But I feel very, very strongly that if you love someone....friend or family or even pet....that you should tell them.
Some people are scary to say those words to. And there are those who are scared to hear them, or don't know what to do if someone has the nerve to speak of love to them. That's okay. The older I get, the more I think "What's the very worst that could happen? An awkward moment? Is that worth the regret?". It'll be okay. Tell them, anyway.
I have to go, now. My grandma broke her hip and wrist yesterday and is having surgery today, so I'm going to try to get things squared away here, then head to Billings in the morning. I just had to get this blog post out, because it's too important to me to be packing it around in my head and heart.
For what it's worth, I also want you all, the readers of the Chronicles, to know that I so appreciate your faithfulness through the years. I've made some of the best friends of my life, and learned so much, laughed and cried and exclaimed. You really saved me in so many ways because when I started writing this, I felt very alone. Thank you. I do love you, too.
Bye, now!
No comments:
Post a Comment