This year, we missed the actual first day of school at Cohagen. We were on vacation at Fairmont Hot Springs and frankly, I didn't think the kids were going to fall desperately behind if they didn't make it for the annual "look over the new books and write a paper about what you did this summer" day. Instead, we spent an average of 5 hours a day at the pool, shopped for school clothes at the amazing second hand stores in Boze-angeles, hiked, ate nachos for supper, visited the Phillipsburg Sweet Palace, maybe swam some more, and came home with dreadful colds.
The teacher and I texted back and forth, though, and had Maggie convinced that she'd missed three chapters of advanced calculus and quantum physics, plus a 10 page cursive written paper about what she'd done this summer.
Angus was to get two cookies.
(A couple years ago, Maggie told her teacher that she was all sorts of abused...that she got in trouble all the time and had to work like a slave, but all we ever did to Angus was give him a cookie.
But she's not overly dramatic or anything...*rolling of eyes*)
Anyway, here we are on August 31st, beginning another school year.
It's already different.
This morning, they both packed their own lunches.
They were dreadfully virtuous in this project.
Spaghetti, carrots, apples, grapes, HEALTHY granola bars, juice...
I would imagine that after school there will be a desperate search for sugar, but during the day they'll be eating like 40 year old half marathon runners.
By Friday, there'll be deals being cut over whether or not Nutella and crackers constitute a suitable "main meal"....
They've given up protesting the traditional "first day" photos and now very patiently pose for their mother.
Maggie's wearing the hat she found in Bozeman, the fairy necklace from her friendly cousin Cece, earrings purchased at the farmer's market in Butte, and a Texas Tech shirt that is literally older than she is (by about 2 years).
Ever finding her way in the fashion world, she's having a hard time with this transition into tweenager...
Angus, on the other hand, is wearing whatever was on top of the clean clothes in his drawers which happened to be his Spokane shirt, Jordan Insurance Service hat, and jeans without holes. We stopped at Walmart and got everyone new socks and underwear, so I'm hoping, hoping, hoping he's also wearing those, but it's anyone's guess.
Making silly shadows...
The mother photographing shadow makes me laugh!
I have to catch her when she's unaware.
It takes my breath away, how lovely she is and how stinking grown up she's getting.
You can tell she's my girl, though, by the flower in her hair.
Country kids play cattle guard tag while waiting for the bus...
If this was the 100th day of school, I'd be able to say that this was a lunchbox that was forgotten by the wayside while the kids played tag, but being the first day of school, it will be remembered and make it to the institution of learning in good shape.
Sometimes I like pictures that show perspective.
Two kids in a big, big country...
Here she comes!
The new bus has a sweep bar! The kids didn't know about it, and Angus nearly ran right into it. It also has a PA system so the bus driver can play music or yell at them. (BUT, as she pointed out, it came without cupholders. What gives?!?!)
It's awfully quiet here, now, and I'd better get the breakfast dishes done. Think I'll listen to a little Prairie Home Companion and drink more coffee while I'm at it...




No comments:
Post a Comment