(It's a line from a Jimmy Buffett song- Volcano.)
I've been waiting to post this until I was certain....non-refundably, absolutely certain....that it was going to happen. The airline ticket has been purchased and the passport applied for, so I think it's time.
About a year and a half ago, my brother-from-another-mother, Ivan, sent me an advertisement for a personal chef for a small group (8-10) divers who were renting a house on the Caribbean Dutch Antilles island of Bonaire. I didn't know if it was legit or not, but I responded to his email with a "Heck, I'd do it for the price of the plane tickets!"
I really should have done a little more research on the ad before throwing that out.
It WAS a legitimate advertisement, but it was HIS legitimate advertisement.
And I'd just flippantly applied for the job without knowing it.
(Just so you know: there were no other applicants so I was by far the lowest bid. He didn't need references either; I think the only criterion for the whole job was whether or not I would make French toast and try to cook iguana if they got one.)
Speeding along to the good part, now....
I DO have the job, there will be 5 adults and 3 kids to sling tropical hash for, and we leave around October 8th of this year!
(This will lend some credibility to my Linked In profile where among other things it says I'm "personal chef to the management".)
Now, I know practically no one knows of this little island, so here's the link to the best website I can find for it. Now you don't have to do that whole Wikipedia thing.
And here's the place we'll be staying...Villa Lunt
I've been corresponding with the owner of the rental to try to figure out what kitchen resources and marketing options there are. One of the most startling things, though, is that there isn't an oven or crockpot there! I'll have to get creative with the grill, I guess. But it's all part of the adventure, right?
Other parts of the adventure include learning Dutch so I can find ingredients in the stores and markets, learning how to cook iguana, and packing my whole island wardrobe in a carry on to avoid losing or paying fees on a checked bag.
My family will be just fine. (I can see grandmas and aunties clucking over THIS.) Celestia and Jasper offered to come cook for everyone and make sure they get on the school bus in time. The Farmer is cool with the whole deal, too.
I'm reading Caribbean cookbooks and will be trying quite a few recipes out in the next six months. Come join us for callaloo stew! (Or a reasonable facsimile...)
PS: There are flamingos on Bonaire. Not the plastic ones like I have and love, but the real birds! I'm so excited!

2 comments:
Cook plenty of beans and rice, even though you don't have a crock pot! That is what the natives on these islands eat (so I hear from a husband who spent time in the Caribbean). And don't leave your underwear hanging on the line over night. And that is all I am going to say about that!
WOW! Seems so wonderful! Do YOU need a kitchen assistant. Cuz I'm free...
Post a Comment