Things like a five pound bag of gummy worms hidden (FROM MYSELF) in a picnic basket.
(First of all, can we just take a moment to appreciate the fact that it's possible in America to buy five pounds of gummy worms all in one bag?!)
Or an emergency stash of Raisinettes tucked way back in the china cupboard.
Or Easter candy in sock drawer.
Or olives hidden (again, from myself) behind the canned salmon in the pantry.
You DO see a pattern, here, right?
A couple years ago I did some reading about right and left brain dominance. I learned a lot. The biggest thing for me was in finding out that my right brain dominance is the reason I'm wired like a squirrel...easily distracted and if something is out of sight (say, candy in a cupboard) it ceases to "exist" in my brain. It's true! I'm just wired this way! It's very handy on a diet. But not so handy in finding things like files in a filing cabinet.
Today on my run, I was thinking about how it applies to more than just candy hiding, though.
Good stuff isn't always right out there on the counter. I have to go looking for it....in people, in situations, in life. Sometimes it's hidden pretty good. Some people are so unpleasant it's hard to be around them long enough to figure out a redeeming quality. Some situations are so painful it's nearly impossible to identify something positive within. Sometimes life feels like one smack down after another.
But sometimes....
you find a five pound bag of gummy worms.
(Or the television remote.)
(Either way, it's great!)
No comments:
Post a Comment