Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Adventures in Sourdough

I know.
Some people have adventures in Abu Dhabi or Greece.  I have adventures in sourdough.  It's cheaper and more accessible, but I'm finding it takes approximately the same time frame as those other adventures.

In order to have a sourdough loaf by Friday, I have to start last Sunday.
Seriously!

Here's the wording off the envelope of starter:
*ahem*

Place water, flour and culture in the bowl; mix until smooth, then cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 24 hours in warm draft free place.

Okay...good enough....I expected the starter to take a while.



NOW...to make the bread:
Take a portion of the "mother sponge" and put it in a bowl.  Feed it (add 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup flour) and let it rest for 6-8 hours at room temperature.

After the baby sponge is all happy and restored, add the remaining ingredients to it, mix until smooth, then let it rest for 6-8 hours. (We're about 42 hours into the recipe and all I've got is some well-fed, well-rested baby sourdough.)

On floured surface, shape the loaf and place it in a greased pan, cover with plastic wrap AGAIN and....wait for it....let it rest for 4-6 hours until doubled in size.  (I would HOPE it would grow...I mean, my goodness!...48 hours of this pampering!)

Finally I get to bake the loaf in a hot oven that has carefully been prepared with steam so its little crust will be just so...for about 40 minutes.

That's right, folks.
FIFTY HOURS from start to finish!

But wait.
There's more.

The directions also say:
(I'm not making this up.)
Think of the Mother Sponge as sort of a pet; you want to feed it (recommended twice a day) and let it acclimate to its environment.
The Mother Sponge will become more sour when held at room temperature and fed often.

The tricky thing about this sour Mother Sponge is that she really stinks.  REALLY stinks.  Last night, when I was caring for Her Royal Spongie-ness, making sure she was fed and acclimated, Angus said "Mom!  I think the cat pooped in the house!"
Um...
Actually, no...but you pegged the odor, kid.

The one loaf I managed to produce was pretty good.  Not 50 hours and twice daily feedings to the Mother Sponge good, but pretty good.  I'm not sure what to do, now, though.  Should I give baby sponges away to my friends, as one would with kittens?  Or would it be more appropriate to give them to people I DON'T like? (As one would with kittens?)  Bake it all up and never go there again?  Bury it?

Who needs to go abroad, when such thrills can be had in one's own kitchen?

1 comment:

Pam O'Brien said...

Kristiina gave me a baby sponge once... I fed it and pampered it, then baked a brick of a loaf (blech), continued to feed (and more often to forget about) the mother until I killed it.
I have, for now, abandoned the idea of making sourdough anything. Latest adventures are in sprouted flours. So far, so good.