Friday, November 22, 2013
What's YOUR super power?
I was at a birthday party a few weeks ago where the mom had done a spectacular job (as usual) decorating her daughter's birthday cake and pulling together a really fun time for the kids. One of the other moms complimented her and then asked me what my "Mom Super Power" was. She had noticed that each mom in the community seemed to have a special talent for something....cake decorating, organizing occasions, games, making people feel comfortable and at ease at functions. And she wondered what I thought my super power was.
Well.
Um...
I really didn't know what to say!
I make a decent pizza from scratch?
It took awhile, but I finally figured it out.
I can play.
When our little school took our field trip to Helena, I was Coral, Queen of the Mermaids every time we went to the pool. If you've never been mermaid royalty, let me tell you...it's one of the best gigs going! All the splashing and diving and boiling of little shrimp in the hot tub; that's good stuff.
And at school, I'm Queen Seabring of the Fairies. I'm a summer fairy, which stinks this time of year, but all the little wizards and fairies help me through the cold, dark months until once again, we shine.
I've been a monster, a wolf, a troll, a patient for the nursiest nurse around, a mail woman...whatever is needed in the game at the time!
The ability to completely suspend any sort of dignity and just BE someone or something else is a super power, I think. My kids' birthday cakes leave something to be desired and I'm always running late on the decorating for holidays, but we have a wonderful time in our own little world(s)!
What's YOUR super power?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I think your gift of make believe is inherited from your Daddy's family. You are blessed to have this playful spirit.
Well, I don't think it's from the Marks/Mosby side, that's for sure...
:)
Find The Christmas Bowl by Susan May Warren and read it. Like, right now.
Post a Comment