And the "fish" here aren't big, but they have no boundaries.
They're pretty nice, for the most part, you know? They're not malicious or devious. They just don't see anything wrong with asking you what you're doing in town on a Sunday afternoon without children, why you're buying cumin for goodness sake, and who was that with you last week when you stopped in the store all dressed up on a Wednesday. And they don't hint around. They'll just come right out and ask! Nothin' subtle about finding out your business, now...don't skirt the issue. Inquiring minds want to know.
Yesterday afternoon, I ran to Jordan to get some groceries. Thought I might slide in under the radar, with church crowds gone and hunters not knowing who I am (or caring).
Right.
At least four people asked me what I was doing in town, and three of them wanted to know where the kids were. One person went so far as to ask why I didn't come in to the bar, ever, and tear it up on Saturday nights....AFTER getting the goods on my Sunday outing.
And I listened to two or three other people stating their business after being asked directly. (There's always that moment of panic and you can see it on the face of the person who has to "reveal all"...what if this isn't a valid reason for being in the grocery store at 2:30 p.m?!?)
I've got to tell you...
It really brings out the worst in me.
I find myself wanting to make up something outrageous to tell them....something horrific, that would cause their jaws to drop, an involuntary step back in shock.
You know.
Something like:
"Oh, I'm just getting a few things for the ritual wiccan blood offering ceremony tonight at Cohagen. Full moon and all..."
or
"Off to my first PETA meeting in Missoula!"
or
"I'd love to stay and chat, but my pole dancing class starts in a few minutes and I have to get changed into something more comfortable...."
Isn't that terrible?!
You'd think I'd be used to it, having grown up here, but it still sort of bothers me. I don't have anything to hide and I'm NEVER doing anything spectacular or sinister (darn it!), but at the same time, it's just...nosy.
NOW, if I want to tell the world here on the Chronicles, that's quite another thing!
:)
Stayed tuned for the next post on how I REALLY feel about pumpkin everything in the fall...
1 comment:
This post made me laugh...because I'm the same way! Living in Culbertson, sometimes people do the same thing-they think they're entitled to know your business, whether they know you or not. Most of them don't know me because I didn't grow up here, but they know my husband's family-therefore our business is their business! These are the days I'm glad I don't live in town and can escape out to the country with my dogs and cows :)
Post a Comment