Sunday, June 16, 2013

The Un-Father's Day Greeting...


I always have a hard time finding Father's Day cards.
They all read like a Little House on the Prairie excerpt, words extolling the kind, strong, amazing men who raised us with our feet square on the ground and full of virtue.
I just can't bring myself to buy a Hallmark greeting for MY dad that talks about all that...

I want to find a Father's Day card that is more along the lines of:

"Happy Father's Day to the man who wasn't always there for me because he was working hard to make sure I had a roof over my head and boots on my feet.  Thanks for all the spankings, even the ones I didn't have coming because I know of a few times I should have gotten a swat and you winked instead. (Yes, I DO still remember the last spanking I got...we're good.) I appreciate that you let me see your flaws, that you showed me that you could screw up, too; it made it easier for me to share mine with you and ask for help.  I know there are times in your life that you're not all that proud of...I have those times, too.  I'm glad we are in better places now; it's probably sweeter because of the struggles, don't you think?  
I think you're a better dad now than you ever were when I was growing up. This is so good! It means you didn't just stay the same, that you grew and matured and learned grace. That gives me hope that I'll be a better mom for my kids someday, too.
Speaking of which, one of the best things you taught me was how to almost cuss when something goes wrong.  (I use it a lot, these days...)  "You low-down, no-good-for-nothing, dirty, rotten, counterfeiting...(censored after "counterfeiting")"  
You taught me how to make beans, mix a whiskey and Coke, tell a good story, saddle a horse, give great hugs, see the good in people, read a rain gauge, drive a vehicle (bless your heart, we both lived through THAT) and appreciate Waylon Jennings and J.R. Ewing. You showed me it was alright to cry over animals that are hurting, get mad about cars that won't start, be scared of rattlesnakes and cook without a recipe."
Thank you, Dad.
I love you!



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Get ready for Hallmark to scoop you up, Mary!