One of the best things about having a blog is that it's a ready-made soapbox. In my case, soap FLAKE box, but still...
And I'm dragging it out, now, so brace yourself.
It took me the longest time in life to figure out an honest truth:
I don't have to like everyone I meet and they don't have to like me.
It's nice if we DO like each other, but it's not a requirement for being a good person. God made all of us with very distinct, unique personalities and we also received our share of annoying traits and quirks. Some of us He lent more than our share. And some things just don't go together, like cauliflower and chocolate. Doesn't mean each of those things aren't perfectly delightful on their own....they just don't compliment each other or even sorta need to be in the same meal.
(Don't you love it when a blogger gets all figurative and you're not sure if we're still talking about people or if there's going to be a recipe inserted in the next paragraph?!)
I had to learn that about people.
Some people are the cauliflower to my chocolate.
I don't HAVE to like them.
What a freedom!
There's someone else in the world who adores cauliflower! I don't have to!
I DO have to be respectful and polite toward them. Everyone, even cauliflower, deserves that much.
I've found that I can not like a person, yet still have sympathy for them.
Poor cauliflower who got picked too young...
I still don't like them, but I get that they have stuff that may be making them bitter to me.
Whatever.
I'm not going to feel guilty about THEIR issues. And....this is the best part...THEY don't have to feel guilty or responsible for MINE!
It's okay not to like someone.
It's fine for someone not to like me.
God made us different.
HE loves cauliflower AND chocolate!
That's all.
Bouncing off my soap flake box, now...
(In case you're wondering, I'm allergic to cauliflower. It makes me throw up. I've tried it with cheese, raw, cooked, dipped, fried...everything. I get wretchedly sick if I have it! Makes the symbolism a little more poignant, huh? I didn't even think of that when I first started writing this, but now I'm laughing at the appropriateness!)
1 comment:
Jason Harold LOVES cauliflower and you have the same reaction to it that I have with fish. I cannot eat fish.
And this post is great.
Post a Comment