Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Cows = Endless Spring Work

But at least they're amusing...to ME.

Here are some pictures of what my mornings look like and who I have coffee hours with (complete with "cake").

Could it be the world's most beautiful cow?!?!
Indeed!  It's Miss Daisy-ma'am, who is nearly always 2nd or 3rd in line for the feed.
The Farmer told me that sometimes when he tags a calf, she'll come running over to check it out and he feared that she may be open (not pregnant) this spring.  I reminded him that she was a little peculiar and that last summer when my bums bawled, she'd hustle over, too.  
Waiting and hoping for a heifer calf from her this spring...


Do you SEE THIS?!?!
This gal got on the bad side of a grumpy porcupine!
Astoundingly, she doesn't seem to have any infection, but man, does it look painful!


Yelling at the kid...
They make me laugh, when they bawl with their WHOLE body!



Snitching goodies before everyone else gets there.
#824 in the Fishing Hole pasture eats cake pellets out of my hand!  She'll re-a-c-h her neck out, then re-a-c-h her tongue out and when she feels the pellet, she curls her tongue around it and BOOP! it's gone!  The other cows scrutinize the whole scene, envious but suspicious.  They're certain it's a trap and that 824 is the bait cow.  Every once in a while, she puts her nose in the open window of the pickup and smells me with her big, slobbery nose.  Cow kisses are not nearly as charming as they might sound...


Here are the cows, trailing in to feed from the hills; some with babies, some solo (having hid their babies in a sagebrush "nest").  Those aren't blue mountains in the distance...just clouds.


This picture delights me!  These old ladies are chewing and smiling, pleased with the way the morning has turned out...
Cows never complain about what I feed them, only about the quantity of the grub.  There's never enough.


Close-up of a baby who couldn't figure out what in the world I was doing with a camera.  I'm certain that calves are born with eyelashes as long as they'll ever be.


More happiness...



My Saturday Sidekick, Speed (bump).
His specialty is horn honking and snack distribution (and elimination).
I was recently informed that he has been banned from the jockey box of the pickup because he has a tendency to re-arrange everything, sometimes losing important tools and such.  (Note the TTU cap; very proud of that...)

He's always telling the cows some sort of crazy story, like about cow-eating LEGO guys or something.  They don't pay him any attention...



So, that's what my mornings are like...

Stay tuned for more thrilling posts from 
The Farmer's Wife!
*rolling of eyes*

3 comments:

Nicole said...

I love this time of year! What I love most about the calves, is that at first, they aren't scared of you yet. Ours will usually come up and checks us out and even start to jump and run around like they want us to play! Too bad they grow up to be big and smelly :)

Unknown said...

We love posts like these -- cows, kids, Montana scenery. I especially like your translations of cow body language...it's so interesting to know what they're thinking.

Sara H said...

Oh this post makes me misty-eyed. I just got off the phone with my dad, in the house for lunch, telling me all about how lousy the weather is, what kind of horse we should buy, and general ranch gossip. Thank you so much for these - they make the homesickness better, and worse.