Sunday, December 02, 2012

Saturday morning adventures on the ranch...

I talked the kids into going for a big walk with me yesterday morning.
Actually, I only talked ONE of the kids into going for a walk...the other had her backpack ready with treats, water, emergency supplies (Space Bear) and a map, and was almost out the door before I was.  Maggie immediately turned "a walk" into "an ADVENTURE!".   Angus was a bit more inclined to watch cartoons in his pajamas under his blanket on the couch, but he didn't want to be alone, so he came along.

The location of the adventure was a SECRET...we loaded in the car and I drove as mysteriously as I could, pausing in a couple likely places, then driving on. (Mysterious is difficult to pull off in a Chevy Trailblazer...) Fortunately, there was a good layer of fog that really added ambiance to the adventure.

No, we aren't in New Zealand....we're actually in the north end of (and I'm not making this up) Thelma's Summer Pasture, which we use in the winter.  
I know.
(We have two Fishin' Hole pastures, too, and I always guess wrong, as you can imagine...)

These girls are waiting for someone to come along and feed them.  Disappointingly, it wasn't us, but they surrounded the car when we got there and made absolutely certain that we weren't hiding any cake in the back.  (These are the cows that I went for a run with on Wednesday and who humiliated me with their superior fitness.)  
The kids and I stopped on our way back and admired their hair-dos, exclaiming over 585's curls and 837's carefree windblown look.  
We love cows.


Angus is still not convinced that an adventure is a great idea.
He's cold.
Really cold.


Maggie is hoping to see coyotes and maybe a sasquatch!



We tried to placate him with fruit snacks...

Space Bear is from Alabama and not used to such weather and remoteness, but he's a good sport...

I get all distracted by interesting forms....
this thistle almost looks like some of the anemones that Ivan was showing me from his dives!

Sometimes, I forget how big the country is because we're so used to the openness.
(No coyotes this morning...drat...)


I looked in every culvert on the way back, hoping for a skunk, but all I found was an interesting photo.




Angus, pleased that the cows were following our car, stuck his head out the window to holler encouraging things like, "C'mon, cows!  We'll lead you to the cake!"  even though we were doing no such thing. 
Cows are not as gullible as he thinks.
They really just wanted to visit because a cow's life is even MORE boring than ours, if you can imagine...

I like the silhouette of this picture, for some reason...
(Don't worry...the windmill is shut off, so no heads or fingers would be lost in the making of the photo.)

Windmills are eternally fascinating to me, in form and action...


Trying in vain to get a decent Christmas card picture...



I'm telling you, I think this is THE ugliest bull in our herd.
He also lacks a sense of humor, it would appear.

We didn't end up having the type of adventure Maggie was hoping for, but what a fun morning on the prairie!


6 comments:

Shelly said...

THIS post has a little of everything I love about the Chronicles. Who, I ask you, can resist pictures of adorable kiddos in rubber boots and wool hats (with ear flaps)?!

Denise said...

You and I feel the same way about windmills.

Love this post.

Slideandride said...

This is an awesome blog. I am going to pass this along to some family. You may have opened up a monster. You have always been able to write!!

The Farmer's Wife said...

The wool hats are the BEST, aren't they?
Thanks, Shelly!

The Farmer's Wife said...

Windmills are mesmerizing to look at; mot as lovely when they don't work...
Thanks!

The Farmer's Wife said...

Monsters welcome here! I'm glad you like the Chronicles; it's a little bit of everything, so come back to see what's shaking. :)