Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Yet MORE Boston...

I know you thought I was done with the Boston posts, but I'm NOT!
There's more.
And since this is my online scrapbook, I'm shoving all the pictures in it and you just have to politely plow through them until I have it out of my system.  Do you have a fresh cup of coffee?  Or English breakfast tea, Alice and Susie K.?
Alright, then....here we go.

Architecture and such:

A couple notes, here....
There's no such thing as "The Historic District" in Boston.  It's ALL historic.  At first, I took pictures of every little scroll and statue, thinking it was the only one I'd see of that kind; then we'd go around the corner and there'd be ANOTHER one, just as old, just as majestic,  just as historically relevant as the other!  And by my last day, I was able to say, "You know what?  I don't really need to see Paul Revere's house.  Let's go to Cheers."

This is one of the buildings I photographed that first day.  I was so amazed at the detail of the stone work!  I'm the sort of person who struggles with Playdough, trying to get it to look like something....to think someone could take ROCK and make it into a scene, with depth and action!



I love the lines behind this, and most especially that she seems to be crying.  


O-KAY.  This one REALLY blew me away.  Want to take a guess at what building this was? (And no, it wasn't a Starbucks, although I saw one on every third block, housed in pretty dang fauhncy buildings.)
It was the library.

 And it had a courtyard.

And a statue/fountain.
And it was so big and gorgeous and historic that we didn't even get to all of it!
AND we had to have tea in the courtyard, just to recover from the tour we DID take!

Okay...moving on....
 Arches....


Spires....


Faneuil Hall....

...with its grasshopper weathervane.

 George Washington...

Some guy in a historic church....

Paul Revere....


Firemen...
WAIT!  How'd THAT get in there!
They were all sitting out front of the fire house on the North End of Boston, bored to death because there aren't an abundance of fires anymore, what with all the buildings being made of stone and all.  The Lieutenant (who is not pictured because he's TAKING the picture) hailed us as we were walking by and said he'd take our picture with the fire engine. And with the Paul Revere statue.  He also acted as a free tour guide, showing us the church that Rose Kennedy attended, explaining about the gentlemen's club up the street and offered suggestions for good places to eat.  We were invited to have sandwiches with them, for pete's sake! 


Only a couple more things, okay?

Churches, with fascinating cemeteries...


That's right, folks; 42 Tiffany stained glass windows!
 
And they don't photograph very well without a flash and tripod, but you get the idea.

In quite a lot of the churches, there were these booths, instead of rows of pews.  Each family would have their own, marked with their surname and it was clear that those more prosperous (and benevolent) had better booths, location-wise.  The explanation was that the churches weren't heated, so all the bodies tucked together in booths kept them warmer.  Considering people in those days went to church for the better part of the day, this made good sense.  Also, Sue and I with our mother brains noted that it was probably much easier to let the kids fidget on the floor in one of these booths, although I'm pretty sure they weren't allowed a whole lot of freedom and mobility.


Did you make it?!
Thanks for being a good sport!
I'll try to put something else on the blog, now, just so you won't feel all jet-lagged, reading travel stories.

3 comments:

TraciG said...

I love the pictures...so much of this is of things I've only seen with the help of a good writer and my own imagination to fill in the blanks. Thanks for letting me see a little of it for real!

Sara H said...

Ummmm...you're really falling down on the food photos! Where are the gourmet dinners? The lobster is cool, but I want French fusion :)

The Farmer's Wife said...

Tracileeg, you NEED to see it for real! You'd be a much better tourist on the east coast than I was. For one thing, you remember historic details. And you like to shop. There's shopping like you can't imagine, there.

Sara, I'm ashamed at the lack of food pictures. After all my clucking at you...