They did not want to mess around with photos.
I insisted.
Very well, then; we won't give you our best smiles...
Fair enough.
When the photo albums come out, in their teenage years, they'll wish they'd cooperated more enthusiastically...
Maggie spots the bus, coming over the hill!
(As excited as she was for school, you'd think she'd spent the summer mining coal or something...)
And Angus wore his tie.
He talked with me, very seriously, in the car about him getting a computer of his own and maybe an office with a phone. He didn't even have his first desk at school, yet, for pete's sake!
She'll be coming 'cross the prairie, when she comes...
YES!
I looked in the bus, to see where they were going to sit and say good morning to Rita. In each of the first three seats were the most intensely serious children I've ever seen. They weren't scared, they weren't sad, they weren't excited (that I could tell, although they MAY have been just about to explode like little Pillsbury biscuit cans); they were very, very importantly waiting to get this education business going.
I don't think they like or missed their teacher at ALL...
Smile and wave, crew....smile and wave...
With Mrs. Carroll, who finally stopped talking, but just momentarily so I had to snap photos like a paparazzi pest...
The sunflowers were gorgeous this morning and I'm grateful. They brightened up the pictures and reflected the mood of the morning! Here's Maggie, watching her brother watch for the bus:
And Angus, my boy-child:
They rode the bus to school, the mom-parazzi had their photos and filled out paperwork, they sat at their desks, then us moms whisked the kindergarteners out of there (because they don't ACTUALLY start until next week, to their GREAT DISMAY) and came to have coffee and cake at my house.
The kids had a playdate and that lessened the disappointment of not starting today.
And the cake sort of eased us mothers into the school year, too.
There you go!
Happy First Day of School!
(Going to pick Mags up from the bus in a few minutes; I'll get the report and if there's anything noteworthy, I'll add it to the post.)





6 comments:
I am using this because I want to make contact with you. While I live in Australia, I was born and raised in western Richland county in Montana where I spent my first 3 years(1951-53) of schooling in a small rural school. My wife and are driving from Lewistown to Ft. Peck on 18 Sept and I have two DVD's on Australian wildlife and the outback; and a book on Australian women in agriculture that I think might be of interest to you. How can I get them to you either in Jordon or Cohagen?
Myron Pentz
I obviously should have put my email address in:
pentz@ncable.net.au
Myron Pentz
Oh my dear! Isn't it just great that these little ones can be so eager to go to school, and go to a safe school with all their best friends, and have such a great teacher. They look so grown up! Little Angus has changed so much since I last saw him. This brings back memories that, until this fall, I really haven't had time to think, because I would always be at school. It doesn't seem that long ago when our little Roberto was going off to the first day.
I do not think I can tell you how much I love the sunflower photos.
Mary, your photos of the kids' first day of school are wonderful. I know you're a great photographer-- your photos of my grandgirls hang on the living room wall!
S.K.
Mary!! I can't believe that Angus off to K! (Sorry, I'm late knowing about this big development in your fam.) How is he doing?? I feel like he should still be a little babe. Time flies. And your little bus is just the cutest thing! I'm trying to think if our busdriver would rather have your route over ours. She has this massive tank of a bus, spilling over with children who think her vehicle is the one place in life to burst open and let your loud and wild craziness explode (or maybe it's just my boys who think this). She only drives about 2 minutes between stops and her bus never kicks up any dust behind--only garbage if it's been a windy day on garbage pick up day. We can hear her comin' round the block, so we never watch for her. We just run out the door like crazy people and meet her at our driveway. If I were her, I'd choose your route for sure. If only to see that sweet little Maggie waving!
Post a Comment