Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Rancherese...additions to the glossary

1. "I think we'll let 'em stand for a bit..." -translates to "Get on your wheeler and get those cows moving, now!"

2. "You wearin' THAT?" - my choice of corral garb is either a. too light for the conditions, b. too heavy for the conditions, c. too bright for the conditions or d. not enough pockets for all the shtuff I'll be needing to tote around.

3. "You said you were goin' to town? Right away?"- I sure hope you didn't have anything planned because I need you to stick around until I get the part off the swather and my list of gotta-have-by-5-p.m. things.

4. "Stick your head out once in a while and look for...(smoke, the white pickup, the cow with the #148 yellow tag, cumulonimbus clouds)" - bring your dishes outside, because you need to be scanning the horizon with your Leupolds every 3.68 minutes. Conservatively.

5. "Be here at 8 or so..." - be there by 7:25 and ready to roll.

6. "Have you heard from...?" - call them and find out what the h-ll is going on, then report back to me around 8 or so.

7. "It's no big deal." - I'm trying not to wring your neck with my bare hands, so step back and don't say a word. (This one is mine. Seriously. Out in the corral, everything is a big stinkin' deal.)

1 comment:

Sara H said...

I'm waiting for the international rancher/farmer hand signal post. Which will be challenging. How can you adequately portray the waving of one hand around in the air that means: quick get around those cows to the west, tie up your horse, then bring the pickup and trailer over here, and back it up to the chute?