Thursday, May 17, 2012

Cohagen High School Rodeo, 2012

Mostly photos, but they're worth a million of my words!


Hot, sticky, blowing his $2 as fast as he can on liquid sugar...


This is about all the rodeo Maggie saw.  She gave a token ten minute glance, then it was off to...

...the DIRT PILE!!!


There was a goat tying clinic put on by a very competent, handsome young cowboy who was concerned that my kids didn't know the first thing about the event. 





He had a pretty good time on that run, but then the goat didn't offer a whole heck of a lot of resistance...


She had sort of a crush on my boy....
I could hardly STAND how adorable this child was!
You'll see more of her later.
It was all I could do not to smooch those grubby little cheeks every time I saw her.


Here's the older sister of the goat-tier and little girl with the crush,  running the poles.
I was too close, so you don't really SEE the run very well, but then it wasn't her best so maybe that's alright. The horse was fun to photograph!



Here's the pole bender with her granddad and friends...
Can't believe she turned around just when I was taking the picture!
(Incidentally, my introduction to this girl was when she was about a week old and her mom said to me, "Want to see the world's cutest baby?"
She's just gotten even prettier as she's grown...)

Love all the hats!  Black is the new trend and I think it's pretty classy.


Remember this little hat?  I was in the cookshack, visiting with my friends who immediately put me to work pouring pop and fetching chips, when I turned around to see this little miss standing on a cinder block to be tall enough to get her nose up to the counter.  She got some candy in a hurry and headed off to make sure there was a nice layer of dirt to cover the tell-tale sticky spots on her face...

The Gang, swapping candy and making elaborate plans...
Rodeos are a rockin' good time for the whole family, but those under the age of 10 seem to REALLY get the most fun out of the whole experience.

More cuties...
I really didn't see a lot of the rodeo, because I was very busy photographing dirty faced kids.


This is probably my favorite photo of the day.
The bull watching the kids at the chute getting ready for their bull rides.

Announcer and timers...man, what a long day for those folks!


And we have the first bull ride of the day!







According to THESE judges, it wasn't a qualified ride.  But it was deliciously dangerous and exciting!

More spectators...
I like the dog!


Little boots captivate me...




Downtown Cohagen, MT:
Everyday population, 4-6; 
High school rodeo weekend population, 250.




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What does one do with a tied-up goat? A sheep I can understand, but a goat...?

On second thought, don't answer that. I don't want to know. Sickos...

Signed--
The Original And Still The Best Anonymous

Anonymous said...

The more I think about this whole goat...thing, the more troubled I get. I went ahead and checked the 'rural' box. It seemed like a logical choice....

TOASTBA

Christine said...

Love the pictures! I want to go to a rodeo now! I nave never been...I know, I need to leave the city and come visit the country! Happy Day to you! =O)

Christine said...

* have, not nave...ugh!

The Farmer's Wife said...

Christine, you DO need to go to a rodeo! (Or, as my son calls it "a radio".) It would be best if you came to Montana for your first rodeo so we can enhance the experience for you. :)

TOASTBA, I find it HILARIOUS that you can understand the need for a tied-up sheep! I'll just leave that alone, but it made me laugh. Loudly.
Tie-down roping for calves (and goats)was originally so they could be doctored out on the wild prairie. In rodeo, the calf is turned out of a chute for the cowboy/girl to chase down on horseback, but the goat is just tethered in the arena...nervously tethered. And they're harder to flank than they look!