I have this pergola; a beautiful, open-yet-shaded place that I designed and the Farmer built. At each corner is a big raised planter where I put my vegetable and flower mess. (Try as I may, I cannot plant vegetables without flowers. And vice-versa.) There's a fire pit on the northeast corner and a picnic table under the center, and though my plans were to eat there, we generally end up sitting there with beverages, not food, dogs panting underneath, and talking about really important things such as whether hummingbirds really hum with their beaks or whether the carrots are ready. (It's designed, you see, to be able to graze as we visit....plucking a pea in mid-sentence or deadheading with a glass of wine in hand.)
Last year, I saw in a catalog that there was such a thing as solar powered white lights. You know, the little white Christmas lights one drapes on a Christmas tree? Immediately I thought of the pergola! She needed those. She HAD to HAVE those! So I ordered some. Three sets, to be exact; two strings for the pergola, one string for my garden gate/seat....I wanted the pretty sparkles, the little stars in the night. And they did not disappoint!
Tonight, after the whole family was in bed, sleeping sweetly and deeply, I wandered out with my glass of chardonney and strawberries to sit in the pergola at the picnic table. It's so incredibly serene here when the wind isn't blowing, and the stars were brilliant. The moon was nearly to the mouse's whisker stage...slivered and white. Earlier in the day, the prairie was LOUD with birds and wind, but now....soft and quiet!
The bluish-white lights that I had strung on the pergola were softly dancing in the darkness with the slight breeze, casting j-u-s-t enough light for me to set my wine glass down and see the little coat that had been left on the picnic table when it got too hot for a cowboy (or Indian) to wear denim. I hadn't thought it would be cold wearing just my pajamas, but it was, a little, so I draped the coat on my shoulders to break the breeze, blessing and admonishing at the same time the child who had dropped it there.
The cats found me.
And they were mystified..
It was the time for people-bodies to be in bed and for CATS to be ruling the yard!
I had no food (curses!) and I had no blanket (drat!) so they gave me a very quick "we-know-you're-crazy-but-we-understand" rub on the ankle and bounced off into the night to do their cat jobs. (Which I hope consists of slaying mice and laying waste to meadow moles; sworn enemies of mine.)
The dark covers up all the warts and wrinkles of my yard and garden and leaves just the form, the scent and the...feeling. In the light of day, all I see is what I'm not getting done and what is lacking, but at night it's so serene and lovely! I sit there with my child's coat on my shoulders and see the Big Dipper, which was the first constellation I ever recognized when I was a child, and think about how teensy I really am, how amazingly miraculous it is that I'm allowed to spend even 15 minutes in this world, how incredibly blessed I was to be born and live in Montana, and how my wine is getting bugs in it because of the solar lights.
There's no such thing as Better Homes and Gardens moments, here; no matter how great the build up. :)
So, I wave good night to the moon and promise her I'll be back another night, accidentally wander back through the 15 inch tall maple twigs, and toast the cats' efforts with the soggy strawberries in the bottom of my wine glass...
Summer is coming...
2 comments:
You took me there. Thank you!
I loooooooove this post.
Post a Comment