Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Take me out to the ball game...

Last Saturday I took the kids to their first baseball game! Our friend Aaron Carroll (aka Sparky...you may remember him from the Christmas post) coaches baseball at Dawson Community College in Glendive and his team was in Miles City for the weekend, playing in a little round-robin tournament.
We needed to go to Miles anyway, to get Maggie new footwear, so it seemed like the perfect opportunity.
Disappointingly, it was COLD...bonechilling cold...and Sparky's team was playing in the morning at 9 a.m. and 11 a.m.
We did as many errands as possible before heading to the field (we may have been waiting for it to warm up a little) and caught the last couple innings of his first game, which they won!

Maggie and Angus, all decked out in Boston Red Sox gear.
Maggie sat down, watched a little of the game and started saying very loudly, "Youk! Youk! Youk!"
We really were wishing Youkilis would appear out of nowhere, wearing a DCC Buccaneers jersey, but no such luck.


It was a lousy place to try to take pictures without an uber-telephoto lens.  I was quite a ways away, standing on a little concrete stump and balanced precariously over the chain link fence to get these pics. 

Here's the team...Bucs in a box, sort of! I think Sparky said he had 22 or 23 kids on the team.


Love the swing!


Safe!


Trying to steal, but headed back to 1st and safety....


 This picture cracks me up! I have no idea what the boy was doing, but you'll see that both feet are off the ground.  Taking off? I don't know, but it's an interesting shot.  (When I went through the photos, I got all distracted by the people in the background.  THAT'S an interesting story unto itself, really.)


We didn't sit in the stands, but beyond the fence in the outfield. Maggie and her two friends from school gave up the game pretty quickly and played hard.  They found this huge patch of ground that had been plowed up and happily dug, rolled around, and ran through it.


Angus had had enough baseball by the end of the first game, so he went to stay with Grandma Banana (my mom) while Maggie and I went to the second one.  It sort of warmed up...but only when the sun was out, five minutes at a time. We had a great time and plan on attending more games this spring and summer!

2 comments:

suekush said...

YOUK! I'm so proud of you all for that! And baseball is always cold in the spring. We moms used to bring blankets to the field.

Denise said...

haha! Dirt always calls a kiddo. Loved the pics. We have never taken our boys to anything other than the local competing teams in the area. You must have had the same terrible cold snap that came through here. :(