Monday, January 09, 2012

Found this photo from family vacation in August, when I was looking for a different profile pic for FB.
I don't know what it is about black and white pictures, but some are almost haunting even though the subject matter and the setting is not...we're all happy, here, and it's a beautiful day, but I think it must be the trees and dappled light that gives it an odd quality.

Anyway, I've found that if I put pictures here, I can always find them and when I have the blog printed out in book format again, it's rather like a scrapbook.  That's all...no other significance to the post!  :)

8 comments:

Denise said...

I super love this picture.

Anonymous said...

Don't you think color is important, though? I mean, if life were just black and white, it would be like you are stuck reading word-y babble from the pages of some obscure book.

God made color. He made green grass, blue skies, and orange sunsets. Hey--wait a minute!blue and orange on green grass...that reminds me: did you SEE the Bronco game yesterday?!?!?!? Did you see what my boys did out there? The league's worst passing offense? Ha! Against the NFL's top ranked defense? HA! The Steel Curtain looks a bit rusty, don't you think?

Tim Tebow for president!

GO BRONCOS!!!

Signed--
The Original and Still The Best Anonymous

Anonymous said...

PS--great picture! ;)

TOASTBA

The Farmer's Wife said...

The point of the picture is that when the colors are removed, it's less distracting, somehow, and the eye sees different things. Of course color's important...but so is form, so are lines and shadows. This same picture, in color, is just a plain old snapshot with a mom and her two kids. In black and white, I think it has some strange, haunting quality...and it's not a haunting photo at all.

Regarding the Broncos: I had a very snarky post up, here, last night...it basically told the world that for someone who supposedly bleeds blue and orange, I found it sad that you were the one stating the Broncos would not only lose but also have a final score in the single digits. I called it with them winning due to the Steelers injuries, and by 14. Who felt smart at half-time?! They still won. And I was right. It's going to be a bloody death next weekend, but this week, it's pretty cool.

You're playing on the big girls' playground, now, sir. Better study up!

Anonymous said...

If you like black and white so much, I've got an old TV set in my basement and I'll make you a heckuva deal on it. Talk about haunting... I'll even trade you straight across for yours and we'll both be happy. Besides, I said I liked the picture already!

Study up to play on the big girls' playgound? HA! Please. Next time I'll be sure to bring the owner's manual to my Barbie doll car and E-Z-Bake oven, okay?

Yes, I picked the game wrong. I am a Broncos fan, but I also keep my expectations realistic. But 'study up'? Really? On WHAT? The Donkeys could't manage a touchdown against the Chiefs last week. The Chiefs! And the Chiefs are horrible (you know, 7-9 as compared to the Broncos' magnificent 8-8). What exactly DOES one study to make these score predictions, O Learned One?

Oh--and as for who felt smart at halftime? Well, that was me, actually--because I was fishing the crick. If you want to feel smart too, I'd suggest caddis nymphs in size 16...

TOASTBA

The Farmer's Wife said...

Ah...you're still thinking of the "other" playground. The big girls have boxing gloves, open beer bottles with thier rings, and know when there's 5 starters out with recent injuries in addition to the quarterback, THAT team's not going to dominate the game.

Figures...you WOULD need to have the manuals to run the (excuse me, I mean "your" not "the")Barbie car and E-Z Bake oven. :)

You can fish anytime, TOASTBA; the Broncos playing post season football...THAT'S rare. The Broncos winning their wild card game with a so-so team and baby quarterback who can't throw a catchable pass 60% of the time? Too bad you missed it...big fan, huh?

Whatever...

Yeah, study up!
When you're done with those challenging manuals, that is.

Anonymous said...

I CAN fish anytime, but it's much more enjoyable when it's above zero and not windy. Besides, I only missed about an hour of the game--I left the last half of the second quarter and got back a couple minutes into the third.

So yes, I am a Broncos fan, but I still have my priorities. And generally speaking, fishing trumps watching the second quarter of a Broncos game. If I miss something big? Well, I suppose I'd just cast back to the same spot and try again. :)

And when you get a beer bottle opened with your ring while wearing your boxing gloves, send one my way wouldya?

TOASTBA

PS--Don't you feel like your other blog readers are eavesdropping on our conversation? It's kinda creepin' me out...

The Farmer's Wife said...

When I wear boxing gloves, someone nearly always offers to open it for me...
:)

Yeah, other blog readers are reading and laughing! The whole point of a blog is to read dumb ramblings; the responsibility of a writer is not to disappoint. (I think I'm probably the queen of dumb ramblings and it would appear that you are a jester in my court. Thanks for contributing!)