Thursday, December 01, 2011

We take a break in our regularly scheduled posting...

...to bring you Crazy Mary Q and A.
That's right.
TOASTBA wants to know:

1-What is your favorite holiday cartoon/TV show? Feature length movies are strictly prohibited, here, but all holidays are eligible.

This is tough.  I have two that are near and dear to my heart, that we almost always saw at Grandma's house every year: The Grinch Who Stole Christmas and The Charlie Brown Christmas. I absolutely LOVE the little dog Max, in the Grinch.  I also like the animation, the crookedy trees with bobbly ornaments, the Who-Hash, how completely wicked the Grinch is about pulling the nails out of the stockings, how he sews his costume like a first grader would and yet it works...all of it.

 BUT....in the The Charlie Brown Christmas, there's the little tree that bends over with the weight of one lousy ornament; I've had that tree! (In fact, all the tinsel-y, tin trees in the lot convinced me to always, always have a real one, no matter how messy or lopsided they are.) There's the organizing of the Christmas play with no one paying attention; I've been there, Charlie Brown...believe me, I feel your pain.  And there's the scene where Linus tells the Christmas story onstage.  That's what makes it my favorite holiday cartoon...the absolute simple, beautiful Truth.  And I almost always cry, even though I think "This year, I won't!"
 
2-If you could get the autograph of any one person alive today, who would it be? What item would you have them sign?
Well....since I already HAVE the autographs of Homer Hickam, Susan Kushner Resnick and Shelly Reeves Smith in their books, my top three are out of the running.  :)
This question proved harder than I thought, and I put some time into it.
Here's the kicker: I don't just want a hastily scribbled signature on, say, a football that was thrust into the hands of the signer.  I want them to look me in the eye, talk for a couple minutes, and connect. I want it to mean something.  
I want Joe Montana to sign my raggedy old 49ers jersey.  
I know.
It was almost Sandra Day O'Connor on a gavel, but I went with the athlete because I've loved him since I was 15 and you know that football is a passion for me.  I greatly admire S.D.O., but it's JOE MONTANA, for heaven's sake!  There you go. 

3-What's your favorite picture that you've ever taken?
This makes me laugh! It's like asking which is my favorite child! And I sifted through the pictures, mentally, unable to choose for a long time.  I love taking pictures of people...not so good with scenery...and it was impossible to make a choice on a people picture because each one had its own special memory and weight, its own photographic composition that pleased me.  Finally, I came up with one that is just weird, but I sort of shake my head every time I look at it.  It's entirely serendipitous, completely amazing that all things conspired to make it work....and it's a cow picture.


Bull, cow, calf...standing perfectly in a row, shoulder to shoulder, looking forward, with all the right tags in a field of good grass.
This is a picture that couldn't be set up if anyone tried, but it's a great capture of the bovine family unit.  Makes me smile, shake my head, look again....and it's probably meaningful to only a handful of people!


4-How do you like Tim Tebow's chances to start for the Broncos again next year?
How do I LIKE his chances? I like them.  I think the Broncos need to get a bigger picture, though, because one man does not a football team make and their offensive line needs some sincere help.  I don't know if they need to can some guys, train 'em, get a better O coach or draft new ones, but they need help.  And Tebow can be brilliant, but if he gets taken out by a big defender while he's trying to rush, having no other choice, then there goes the team. 
Tebow's obviously going to start for the Broncos next year, no doubt there.  And he should; he's put in the work and proven that he can lead.  Or get away from the opposition.  I just don't think he should be tagged the team's savior (a title I'm sure he loathes) and their big hope for ultimate success. 
(Sorry, Steve Brock, for all the football here, but I had to! The cow picture should've helped, though, right?)


5-How do you handle the last drop of food that gets stuck at the rim or lid of a jar when you pour it out? You know--like that little dab of ranch dressing or BBQ sauce or picante that doesn't actually make it onto your plate but doesn't get sucked back into the bottle, either. Do you lick the lid? Or wipe it off with a cloth? Or just mash the lid on and throw it back in the fridge to get all crusty and nasty? Something else?
EW!
Wipe it off!
My goodness....
(I know you thought I was going to let the dog lick it off, but I'm not THAT crazy...)

No comments: