Thursday, November 10, 2011

Mental Diarrhea...

THAT got your attention, didn't it?!
(Oh, how I hope my mother doesn't read this...)

I've got all sorts of little, insignificant thoughts that can't stand alone as a post, but I feel the overwhelming (and probably ill-advised) need to share them with you. 

For instance...
Nearly every morning, when I run, I meet this grumpy old skunk who is trundling back to his burrow after a long night of carousing up and down the creek.  We've gotten sort of accustomed to one another; I holler so he knows I'm coming, he raises his tail in greeting, we keep going.  This is going to sound completely deranged, but I've gotten to where I look forward to seeing him and am disappointed when he's not there.

It's pie season!  Yes!  Remember last year, when I went through about a month of sincere pie-love?  It's back.  Cohagen School is having a harvest dinner/pie auction on November 18th, and I think I should start practicing now.  Sour cream raisin pie....I think there's probably only one person in ten that like a sour cream raisin pie and I'm that one, here.  With meringue.  *sigh*  Pie love...there'll be more on this, later. (Incidentally, if you're planning on coming to the harvest dinner and think you'd like to bid on a pie, I will take requests now, to ensure that your favorite kind is there.  And if I can't do it, I know of a couple other pie girls who CAN!)

My bum calves, Lily and Willy, are gone.  I know.  I'm a little sad.  Do you know what makes me cry, about this?  It's not that they're going to be hamburger soon...although that's not a pleasant thought, either.  It's the thought of how scared and bewildered they must've been at the sale barn, how frightening the sale ring was for them.  Every year, that nearly kills me.  But next spring will come, with new flower-baby bums, and we'll start all over again!

This is out of the blue, but do you watch the music/movie awards shows?  I usually don't, simply because they're deadly boring.  But when I DO, it brings out the worst in me; for about thirty minutes, I find myself cattily looking at the over-the-top fashion (good and bad), watching the faces of the nominees, rolling my eyes at the acceptance speeches.  Last night was the CMA awards and I got sucked in because Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood were hosting, picking on EVERY person in country music.  It was highly entertaining when they brought out the Tim McGraw and Faith Hill Barbie dolls. And this morning, I notice that everyone is all in a fluff that Taylor Swift got Entertainer of the Year.  Drama, drama, drama...(She had a lovely dress and wore it well.  Drats. I can't even disparage her fashion sense...)

Today is Sara Hagedorn Calvert's birthday!  Huzzah! Now THERE'S a girl who can understand pie love, sad bum goodbyes, and friendly skunks....  :)  Think Bon Appetit meets Agri-news.  She's a treasure of a friend and I'm so grateful she e-ntroduced herself last year.  Happy birthday, Sara!

Tonight is bookclub; we've been reading One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp and you'll get the report/menu tomorrow.  I know.  You'll be waiting breathlessly until then....

That's all for right now.
See? It wasn't as bad as you'd imagined after reading the title of the post, right?

5 comments:

Marina said...

Tonight is our book club too!!! Was One Thousand Gifts good?? We are always searching for the next great book...! We read What Alice Forgot. It was a little 'chick-lit-y' compared to what I like to read, but I couldn't put the dang thing down!

Zeph said...

Is your Sara Hagedorn from Powder River County?

The Farmer's Wife said...

Marina, One Thousand Gifts was hard for me; not the content, because that was good, but more the author's style of writing. I got a little impatient (I know...who would've guessed THAT) with descriptions. Very poetic. Sort of like really rich foods that you can't eat too much of in one sitting, you know? Many people have said this book completely changed their lives! I'd say you have to read it and judge for yourself.

Hi Zeph,
Yes, my Sara Hagedorn IS from the Powder River country! Do you know her?

The Farmer's Wife said...

I've never heard of What Alice Forgot! I'll have to check it out.

Sara H said...

Well thank you very much! Should I be honored or horrified that I made the "mental diarrhea" post? I think honored.

Not that this will surprise, but I LOVE sour cream raisin. I also received some pumpkin bread in the mail today from Powder River County (yes, that's me, Zeph - have we met?) which is pretty great. I have a sneaking suspicion it was left over from shipping on Monday, but I don't care. Speaking of shipping (and bums), there is a reason I never took a steer in 4-H.

Oh –and back in high school I had a young coyote who would actually run along with me. It was amazing. Well, until the hired man shot him (for delicate readers, I did not witness said event; I just didn’t have a running partner any longer). I understand taking the running partners you get.

Did Miranda Lambert win some sort of wrestling title? What was up with that belt thing?

Thanks again for the shout-out. Love the blog, love you more!