Monday, November 07, 2011

But, it's just make up!

Because she won't tell you herself, unless you accidentally trip over some of her pink and black boxes, my sister is now officially selling Mary Kay.  Yes!

And Saturday evening she had what the invitation termed as an open house, but what she referred to as her "coming out of the closet" get-together. It was a big deal for her, as well it should be, and she'd cleaned and baked and fluffed and prepped all day for the shindig; as the day went, though, friends started calling and cancelling.  Su much so that when I talked with Jen at 1:30 p.m., she sounded sort of frantic and begged me to come so she wouldn't get skunked.  Please?

Well, what's a sister to do?! I had to go.  I know how it feels to have a party that no one can make it to.  And I didn't want her sitting there in her pretty dress, in her clean house, looking all sad and drowning her sorrows by eating the whole Double Chocolate Bailey's Irish Cream cake by herself.  I mean, if she's goona be sad and eat cake, I should be there to join in and support her in any way I can.

The weather was AWFUL.  The morning was just cold, but it started snowing that afternoon and just wasn't going to let up.  I thought it wouldn't be so bad, because I'd get in to Miles when it was relatively light and evaluate whether to risk the roads after the party.  I told Wayland that I'd turn around if the roads got too bad...no big deal.  And took off, thinking of all the times Jen had come through for me. 

As far as the road went, they were alright, except for the last 70 miles.  Those were white-knuckle, tense shoulder, 40 mph, blowing and melting and freezing sorts of miles.  I kept thinking I'd run out of it.  By the time I decided to turn around, I was closer to Miles than home, so may as well plow on in...

It took 1 1/2 hours to get there. 
Yeah.

I was 15 minutes late, missed the big shpiel, had to hurry up with the interview card, and was all twitchy from the trip and the football game I could hear on in the next room.  This is love: that I would miss the biggest college football game of the year to apply moisturizer and make-up with the girls.

It turned out that a couple of friends who thought they couldn't come, did, and Mom was there, too, so there were five of us.  Yay!  We Mary Kay-ed from 6:30-10.  I'll admit, I did sneak off and watch the equivilant of one quarter of the LSU-ALA game, while everyone was eating chocolate cake and drinking chai. 

I decided to spend the night, which really was no choice at all, considering what I'd driven through to get there, so Jen and I visited and laughed, went through all her products after everyone had left, planned and plotted.  We were counting on the time change to buy us an hour.  Then we blew right through that hour and kept going....I think it was 1:30 by the time we finally called it quits and went to bed. 

I came home the next morning with all sorts of little trial sized lotions and potions, some new colors for my face, and a happy heart from having sister time. 

And this morning, I'm moisturized and spackled up, ready for whatever the world might toss my way!

If you need Mary Kay, contact Jennifer Pitcher at 406  853-5901.  You can tell her I sentcha!

3 comments:

Shelly said...

MK's mascara is the best as making hopelessly short lashes look long and lush. I hope she does well in this new business venture!

Pam O'Brien said...

Aw... you're a good sis. That's a long way to drive in any weather for a make-up party!
Glad you enjoyed quality time!

The Farmer's Wife said...

Everyone loves the mascara! You should see their new eyeliner, though....my goodness, it makes applying liquid liner almost foolproof. That's saying something.

Pam, it IS a long ways! All I could think of, the whole way, was how many times she'd shown up for my things despite the inconvenience. Besides, she's giving me a Risking Life and Limb for Mary Kay door prize. The new eyeliner! I'd do it again, even without the door prize, though. :)