Saturday, August 13, 2011

Just DO it!

Confession:
(But not the juicy kind...sorry!)
Lately, I've been having SUCH a hard time staying motivated in my running.  It has become sort of a chore, instead of the privilege I viewed it as, before.  I don't want to quit or anything like that, but I think I need a change of scenery. 

Anyway, I read a runner's forum online and this very topic came up...what do you do when you don't want to do it? 
There were all sorts of inspirational thoughts and ideas, but it all came back around to the famous basic Nike (pronounced Nike-eee, I was informed and duly noted) slogan: Just do it. 

Just do it.

This morning, while  I was running, I was thinking about how this really applies to all areas of my life.  I'm always saying to myself, "I wish I was a little more organized," or "I'd like to have a flatter tummy," or "I want the kids to see Yellowstone park, before they're teenagers and don't want to be seen with me." 
The almost too-simple fact of the matter is that if I want to have more organization, I shouldn't hang around waiting for the Rubbermaid Fairy to clonk me over the head with a plan, I just need to do it.  Most of the things I want to be are completely attainable...except, maybe, NFL team owner.  And right now, who wants to own an NFL team, anyway?

Just do it.

Want to learn French? DO it!
Lose 10 lbs? DO it!
Hang a photo in a gallery? DO it!
Make a souffle? DO it!
Learn to golf? DO it!
Get your papers in color-coded, alphabetized, chronologically synchronized files? DO it! (Bless your heart..)

Wishin' don't make it so, to quote Ian Tyson. And it might hurt.  In fact, most change hurts in one way or another.  But then, again, I just read about a monk who lost both legs from meditating too long...so, inertia can hurt, too, I guess. 

No excuses, no whining, no elaborate plans...just do it. 

So, I'm going to find another running route, tell myself every morning to suck it up, Buttercup and hit it again. 

*One of the sayings on the running forum that I laughed at and promptly put on my mental fridge was:

"It's not sweat, it's your fat cells crying..."

Isn't that good?
Now, what are you doing, today?



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So true... I was listening to Andy Stanley last night on my way home from the field. He was basically talking about the same thing. We can ask God to change us (our hearts) but ultimately we have to do the work--if we don't want to be angry we have to forgive, if we dont wan't to be guilty, we have to confess; if we don't want to be greedy, we need to give. It's true in the physical realm as well as the spiritual. That magic wand doesn't work: we just need to DO IT!!